Chief of Staff
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2011, CorpsAfrica provides the opportunity for young Africans to serve as volunteers in their own countries, along the lines of the Peace Corps model. We train driven college graduates and send them to live for up to one year in rural, high-poverty communities in their own countries to facilitate small-scale, high-impact projects that are identified by local people. To date, CorpsAfrica has hosted more than 500 African volunteers in six countries– Morocco, Senegal, Malawi, Rwanda, Ghana and Kenya.
Having successfully proven the power and effectiveness of the model, CorpsAfrica is on the verge of significant growth and has begun to receive substantial funding that will allow us to expand the program into 11 countries, recruit and train 1,600 young African volunteers, and ultimately impact 800,000+ lives by 2027.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- The Chief of Staff is a new position that will play a critical role in ensuring the efficient and effective execution of strategic initiatives, business operations, and long-term planning. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Chief of Staff will serve as a trusted advisor, facilitate sustainable organizational growth, and provide the strategic leadership needed to scale the CorpsAfrica model and amplify our impact. Specifically, the Chief of Staff will:In close partnership with the CEO, Global Support Office, Country Directors, and Board of Directors, design and implement strategic plans that drive growth and sustainability, and are in alignment with CorpsAfrica’s goals and mission.
- Oversee key initiatives, special projects, and daily operations spanning human resources, finance, budget management, and overall organizational performance. Supervise, mentor, and coach the COO, CFO, and HR Director to effectively manage their functional areas.
- On a regular basis, identify areas to improve efficiency in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, evolve current structures, systems, processes, and policies to increase organizational productivity and effectiveness and ability to scale.
- In partnership with the COO and HR Director, oversee people operations, ensuring that all staff have clear job descriptions, performance metrics, and work plans. Institute practices that drive high performance, staff morale, and employee satisfaction, retention, and well-being.
- Develop and sustain trusting relationships with employees and foster a culture of shared accountability and collaboration across a 24 and-growing member Global Support Office working in a virtual environment. Support CEO in managing 10 Country Directors.
- Advise and support the CEO on internal/external communications and meetings, board management, and other executive-level duties. Anticipate needs and proactively address issues to enhance the CEO's effectiveness.
- Serve as “air traffic controller” and liaise between CEO, staff, Board of Directors, and key partners, ensuring open lines of communication and information sharing.
- As an executive member of the Global Support Office, contribute to guiding overall organizational direction, prioritization, and decision-making, as well as setting and modeling cultural competency and humility as a member of a multicultural team that works across the US and Africa.
WHO YOU ARE
An enthusiastic advocate for CorpsAfrica's mission and values. You are inspired to join a rapidly growing program that recruits and trains young volunteers to serve in their own countries. You thrive on a multicultural team that values collaboration, listening and capacity building, monitoring and evaluating, accountability and transparency and – above all – a commitment to locals helping locals.
- A seasoned leader, organizational builder, and hands-on operator. You bring at least 15 years of experience in roles that enhance organizational performance, drive day-to-day operations, and create the conditions for growth and sustainability. Experience at rapidly scaling organizations and/or global development space is a plus.
- A “big picture” thinker with the ability to implement tactically. You bring skill in planning and leading strategic initiatives, with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities and the capacity to translate data into actionable insights. You understand the importance of operational excellence to achieve short- and long-term goals.
- **An expert project manager. **You have a track record of successfully leading and executing complex projects and concurrent assignments. You excel in organizing and directing teams and departments, setting priorities and timelines, and meeting project milestones and goals.
- A communicative people leader who fosters collaboration and teamwork. You have experience in managing and coaching direct and indirect reports for high performance and accountability. You communicate across teams and departments to ensure all players are operating in lock step.
- An engaging relationship builder who develops rapport easily and inspires trust. You have a warm, energetic, and authentic personality that translates to building relationships with a range of personalities. You have a calming presence and ability to help others maintain composure in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- An agile, action-oriented, and flexible colleague. You possess a “get it done” attitude, with the ability to stay focused and nimble in a dynamic environment. You demonstrate good judgment in the face of challenges. You work effectively across teams, time zones, and with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
LOCATION AND BENEFITS
This position may work from anywhere in the Northeastern region of the US, with a preference for an NYC or DC home base. Compensation range is $140,000 - $160,000 and an excellent benefits package with medical/dental/vision/life, 15 vacation days per year (10 can carry over), 3 personal and 6 sick leave days, office closure for 11 federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, a 401K plan with a 4% match over a 3-year vesting schedule.
Please apply with 1) a pesonalized cover letter that explains why CorpsAfrica's work excites you and why this role is a fit for you, 2) your resume. Please address your cover letter to Liz Fanning, CEO. We review applications on a rolling basis and strive to get back to applicants within two weeks.