At Heliolytics, we’re building a suite of industry-leading tools and services to enable our clients, which include some of the largest solar energy producers in the world, to maximize their energy output each year (Learn More Here).
Our Mission: Improve Renewable Energy System Performance 🌱
TLDR: You can think of us as a partner to commercial renewable energy companies, providing them with the trusted data and expert advice they need in order to answer important operational questions such as: _“How does the degradation of my solar panels affect my profitability?” _or “How many sheep should graze our solar site?” 🐑.
As you can imagine, finding the answers to these questions can be challenging and quite complex. Through monitoring performance and building efficiency solutions with over ~70% of North America’s renewable energy providers, we’re leading the industry, leveraging our years of data-acquisition to help clients answer questions like these and many more across their entire life cycle; from construction progress to on-going maintenance to repairs and restorations and everything (DC health related) in between.
**Why is this important? **
What we know from the industry's largest energy validation study is that, on average, solar energy systems underperformed their initial estimates by 5-13% from 2011 to 2020 (Source). The future of the renewable energy industry depends on our ability to maximize performance reliability. Aligning financial risk and reward with low-carbon energy investment is critical for shifting the economy in the direction of lower GHG emissions.
To date, the impact of our work at Heliolytics has resulted in increased energy production equivalent to 130,500 car-years of CO2 reductions. Every marginal increase in efficiency is a huge win for our team, our client partners, the future of the renewable energy industry, and the environment.
The Role of Strategy & Operations at Heliolytics
Over the last two years, we’ve seen a massive increase in global demand for our services. We’re actively scaling all of our teams while building the systems and processes needed to support our rapid growth. Additionally, we were officially acquired by NovaSource Power Services in December 2021 (Learn More Here). Needless to say, this is a really exciting time for our team. We’ve just passed the 65+ team member mark and we have plans to reach 100+ FTE members very soon.There’s an undisputable energy and sense of opportunity within our company.
To ensure this energy is being applied to mature and grow our business in a coordinated and effective manner, we started our internal maturation process two years ago. Our current Lead, Elise Hoffmann, has already laid the groundwork, establishing our internal strategy and operations process, getting us from 0 - 1. Elise has been instrumental in this process and we wish her well as she will be moving on to complete a Masters program later this year. We are now looking for a new Strategy & Operations Lead to guide us in the next phase of our organizational development journey.
**How You’ll Make an Impact: **
We have spent the last two years laying the basic groundwork for a more mature and systematic approach to running our business. We need you to take us to the next level of organizational maturity in whatever way you think is best. You have a broad mandate to demonstrate what organizational maturity should look like for us. You will define your own success.
Below is a series of needs, and we look forward to discussing how you can help us fulfill them:
- Increase our company and team alignment around our goals, and how effectively we achieve them (we have laid a foundation of OKRs and hope you will build and iterate on this)
- Improve the effectiveness and efficiency of our capacity management for our core workflows
- Enable our Executive team to focus on strategy and less on the day-to-day of internal operations (including by ensuring our strategic focus areas are prioritized effectively)
- Increase our effectiveness in solving internal problems and enable teams and individuals to have more ownership over their projects (we have laid a foundation of initiative management and hope you will build and iterate on this)
- Continue to reduce silos between teams, especially by helping teams build transparent communications practices
- Look for opportunities for Heliolytics to build bridges between us and our new parent company NovaSource
- Ensure our teams plan for the resources they need to achieve their objectives in partnership with the Finance and People Teams
- Continue to ensure our customers are at the core of our work, from strategy through to execution
**You are: **
- **A governance geek: **You glue our organization together by developing the North Star to follow and systems/and frameworks to work within. You build systems to facilitate greater organization, alignment, communication around our goals.
- A transformer: You have an innate sense of curiosity and drive, tirelessly finding ways to do better. You thrive off of iteration and experimentation and believe in pragmatism not perfection. You are also comfortable with ‘productive conflict’, challenging previously held ideas with a desire to see everyone succeed.
- **Laser focused on (financial) impact: **you are constantly looking for ways to increase revenue and reduce costs relating to our operations, capacity planning, workflow management and more.
- Confident with metrics and reporting: You are great at framing strategic outcomes and figuring out how we can measure success, given the data we have, and effectively communicating all of the above to your stakeholders.
- **An influencer: **You are great at influencing those around you and establishing credibility to encourage participation in transformation initiatives across teams and levels of seniority.
- Insights obsessed: you aren’t satisfied unless you can find evidence to support hypotheses or conclusions. You are comfortable being hands on, gathering your own data and insights, and guiding others to gather insights for you.
- A coach and mentor: our teams are all new at developing their objectives and key results, and measuring success. You will be very hands on with our teams coaching them, guiding their work, and ensuring alignment. You believe in empowering those around you at all levels to do their best and reach their full potential.
- A customer advocate: the customer is at the heart of our client facing and internal work. You will contribute to building a cross-functional framework for customer experience, client service, and client listening work, alongside our Business Development and Product teams.
To be successful, you’ll need to bring an extensive variety of experience:
- Building operations systems - ideally a mix of startup and corporate experience transforming organizations
- With methodologies like human centered design and/or systems thinking
- Building, maturing, and maintaining OKRs or similar frameworks
- Managing a P&L and/or budgeting for team(s)
- Building company strategies and visions
- Managing projects, processes, and accountability structures
- Building your own dashboards and pulling your own insights from at minimum excel/google sheets - python is nice to have
- Presenting your insights - great storytelling on slides and other methods
- Collaborating with and upward managing executives
- Managing operations teams and/or influencing resources across teams
- Prioritizing strategies and projects based on what’s best for the business and for our customers
**Bonus Points: **
- Experience with CMMS systems and/or logistics management
- Experience transforming organizations
- Experience in python for data analytics, SQL, or similar
- Experience in consulting, tech startups, and/or equivalent educational experience like an MBA
- Experience in energy and renewables
Working @ Heliolytics:
Heliolytics is a mosaic of talented people with different interests and goals united by our mission to build a sustainable transition to clean energy. As a remote-first organization, we work hard to optimize all of our systems and processes to operate remotely whenever possible, however, we do like to meet in person on occasion.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If the job description gets you pumped but your background isn’t exactly what we’ve described above, or if you strongly believe you bring qualifications beyond what we’ve outlined that would help you excel in this position, please consider applying.
Heliolytics is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.