Strategy and Business Operations Lead | Duolingo English Test
Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we also offer English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test, and are bringing new subjects into the Duolingo app, where people can develop their Math and Music skills.
The Duolingo English Test (“DET”) is an alternative to traditional high-stakes English proficiency testing — through a Duolingo-style experience: convenient, fast, and affordable. We are now accepted by 4,500+ higher education institutions worldwide. Using AI and remote proctoring, we enable students to take the test online, on-demand, anywhere in the world. If you love making a difference in education through technology, this is the place for you.
We are passionate about building accessible education products, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for a motivated, strategic, and analytical leader to join our team and support DET strategy. This role is integral to the DET’s growth and involves driving strategic initiatives and supporting day-to-day operations. This role also requires working closely with the DET General Manager. Responsibilities include facilitating strategy formulation, monitoring organizational performance metrics, conducting business analyses to identify improvement opportunities, and working with the DET leaders to prepare and present business updates. The ideal candidate will possess strong critical thinking, excellent communication skills, and a proven track record in strategy, project management and planning.
You will drive...
- DET strategy: Collaborate with cross-functional leaders to support top DET priorities. Conduct market research to identify and evaluate new opportunities that help the DET become the most widely accepted test. Combine market understanding, customer insight, and product vision to make actionable recommendations.
- DET planning: Oversee, execute, and refine planning processes, including managing OKRs and annual planning. Develop and present regular business updates.
- DET central operations: Serve as the Chief of Staff to the DET General Manager. Drive strategic projects and manage complex cross-functional efforts to achieve key business outcomes.
- Experience in a leadership role in a strategy function or in strategy consulting, with 7+ years of professional experience
- Conviction in the Duolingo English Test and its mission (experience in higher education, assessment, or edtech is a plus)
- Experience leading cross-functional teams
- Strong business judgment: ability to approach complex business problems in a structured way, simplify, and drive rapidly towards insight
- Outstanding and proven research and analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong people leadership skills, including ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders
- Fast, flexible, and outcomes-focused: able and excited to thrive with rapid cycles of analysis, decision, and action
- Bachelor's degree (MBA preferred but not required)
We invest in and support our Duos! This role is eligible for a robust compensation package of base salary, equity, and Duolingo’s world-class benefits. The starting base salary range for this role is, $ 147,000 - $ 300,600 . Actual salary may vary based on level, work experience, performance, and other factors evaluated during the hiring process.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here .
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
By applying for this position your data will be processed as per the Duolingo Applicant Privacy Notice .