Sr Support Manager | Employer
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
Hours: Monday through Friday 8am-5pm in time zone, unless otherwise noted in hiring process
Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 700 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 300,000 Employers recruiting on Handshake - from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge - we want you to apply!
Handshake is looking to bring on a Sr. Support Manager to lead and develop a team of full-time Support Specialists that provide enterprise level support to our Employer users and internal enablement to cross-functional teams. Once fully ramped to our fast-paced, mission driven environment, you’ll play a key role in building scalable solutions and processes as we continue to progress through hypergrowth while nurturing a fun, collaborative, inclusive and performance-driven culture. You’ll report to and work closely with the Director of Global Support and cross-functionally collaborate with key cross-team stakeholders at all levels within Global Support and Trust & Safety Leadership, Success, Product, Engineering, Sales and Finance/BizOps teams to improve operations, efficiency and quality; Employer support volume and first response times; and contribute to an overall seamless user experience. Not only will you drive the development of the Employer Support team, who enables and supports our complex and technical platform, but you’ll contribute to the evolution of the Global Support and Trust & Safety Department!
A primary focus of your role will include refining the skill of managing both up and down--supporting your team and your manager--while contributing to mindful decisions that account for impact to our users, team and the business. Ultimately, you’ll play a pivotal role in building a diverse, hardworking team that loves contributing to our mission and pushes themselves to go above and beyond to provide exceptional external partner experiences--advocating for and enabling user success with our platform--while acting as an effective internal partner to fellow Global Support/Trust & Safety teams and the company as a whole.
- Your RoleTeam Management
- Hires, trains, motivates, coaches, develops and empowers a hardworking, diverse team of Employer Support Specialists
- Seamlessly navigates performance management
- Conducts weekly 1:1s, documenting feedback and coaching points
- Supports ICs in short and long-term goal creation and tracking, effectively navigating career growth and development convos and mapping
- Unblocks the team, appropriately escalating issues when other avenues prove ineffective
- Navigates difficult conversations with grace, fluidly adjusting to your audience’s communication styles, needs, backgrounds, morale, motivation levels, etc.
- Continually maintains a pulse on the Employer queue to ensure SLAs are met, rallying the team when necessary, pulling and tracking data, and proactively surfacing opportunities for continual improvement.
- Hosts regular team meetings to promote group learning/sharing, community and fun
- Facilitates cross-team opportunities for development and culture building
- Vertical Ownership & Advocacy
- Has a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Maintains a growth mindset, which includes giving and receiving feedback effectively in all directions
- Acts as a subject matter expert and advocate for the Employer Support vertical, providing insight and updates effectively to assist with decision making
- Drives the evolution and scalability of the Employer team and its impact and contributions toward achieving team, department, and company-wide goals and objectives (ultimately measured by or related to defined northstar metrics)
- Identifies and leads efforts to scale Employer Support resources such as our Help Center, internal documentation, training, and community programs
- Cross-functional Partnership
- Partnering with the Director of Global Support and Support on contributing to inter-department and cross-functional projects in collaboration with Support/Trust&Safety Leadership, Product, Engineering, and Finance/BizOps
- Effectively collaborates with peer managers on projects, holding peers accountable and proactively asks for and acting upon feedback
- Exhibits an exemplary executive presence in all meetings and presentations
- Consistently participates and offers a thoughtful point of view in all meetings and communication channels, approaching with curiosity and providing input to help empower the team, enable our customers and assist the business in reaching company-wide goals
- Utilizes internal tools to manage issues between Support, Marketing, Product, Engineering, Customer Success, & other internal teams
- Broader Impact
- Completes assigned projects, deliverables, and tasks on time and proactively communicates any changes to both your manager and stakeholders.
- Drives improvements in efficiency, quality, response times and customer satisfaction across the entire Global Support organization
- 5+ cumulative years Support experience in a fast-paced, high-volume SaaS environment, with minimum 2+ years in frontline queues before developing into management (preference for startup experience)
- 4+ years experience managing a team of 8 or more in SaaS Enterprise support (preference for those with management experience within a startup for more than 2+ years)
- Track record of developing and coaching team to meet and/or exceed KPIs
- Experience handling complex, high-impact escalations in a support environment
- Ability to pull, summarize and appropriately share insights and data up, down and cross-functionally
- Experience independently creating and delivering presentations to audience of all sizes and levels
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Experience creating and managing internal resources such as internal knowledge articles, training materials, SOPs,etc.
Bonus Areas Of Expertise
- $93,500.00 - $125,000.00
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
For roles based in Berlin, Poland, and Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Benefits above apply to employees in full-time positions.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.