Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom helps thousands of businesses connect with hundreds of millions of users every day, and we’re just getting started. As we grow, we need people who can get their heads around the complex environment in which we operate, figure out what we need to do, and do it. We’re looking for someone who exhibits the intellectual curiosity, rigor and self-awareness needed to take on challenges that span the breadth of our business. As part of the Business Operations team, you’ll drive key decisions and initiatives in collaboration with stakeholders across the company. You’ll get your hands dirty in the process. You'll construct persuasive cases for and against certain courses of action. You'll have executive-level visibility and a finger on the pulse of the overall business. You’ll act as an example and mentor to both people on the team and outside the team. This is a great opportunity to impact the trajectory of a quickly growing company.
What will I be doing? 🚀
Business Operations works on the highest impact business problems we face. You’ll collaborate with stakeholders across the company to steer key initiatives designed to address these problems. Such as: - Build consensus and deliver a commitment on the right course of action. Partner with cross-functional stakeholders (R&D, Finance, Marketing, Sales, Support, etc) to operationalize that commitment and see the resulting initiative through to a successful outcome; - Develop business cases for Intercom to invest in new markets or steer new initiatives by gathering relevant context / data and building sound financial models to inform the right course of action; - Define and track key performance indicators to assess the success of business initiatives. Some examples of the projects you could work on: - Closely partnering with R&D teams and leadership to provide key input into potential product development and forming a commercial strategy for product roadmaps; - Becoming a subject matter expert in one or more of our product areas; contributing to the creation of the “winning strategies” for those areas; and providing insights and opinion on those areas on an ongoing and proactive basis; - Developing business cases for Intercom to invest in new markets, new product offerings, or deliver growth through M&A and partnerships. As the above list suggests, you should enjoy variety in your work, be comfortable with ambiguity and have an insatiable drive to make an impact.
What skills or experience do I need? 📖
- You have 5+ years of experience in technical or quantitative fields. At least 2 years of operating experience within a technology company, with a mix of Finance, Operations, management consulting, and Product roles;
- You can perform data analysis (and partner with the Analytics teams) to define key performance indicators; use them to better understand our business; identify opportunities and threats; and persuasively communicate findings to cross-functional stakeholders at all levels;
- You communicate effectively in written (documents and emails), visual (charts and decks), and verbal forms;
- You have an appetite to absorb data (quantitative & qualitative) from a variety of sources (customer interviews, Sales rep data, competitors, product behaviour, dashboards, meetings, etc.); connect it; and be able to draw a “so what?” conclusion;
- You have a proven commercial sense, i.e., be able to connect a course of action that Intercom takes to the impact on top or bottom line figures and other leading indicators of business performance;
- You are comfortable writing intermediate SQL, i.e., queries that include multiple tables, aggregate functions, and common table expressions (CTEs) without supervision;
- You have demonstrated expertise in monetization strategy and pricing/packaging optimization preferably in a company like Intercom, i.e., B2B SaaS;
- Ideally, you should have a basic working knowledge of statistical concepts (this role does not involve in-depth statistical analysis).
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :) - Competitive salary and meaningful equity - Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen - Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage - Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays - Paid Parental Leave Program - Commuter benefits + 401k plan - In-office bicycle storage - Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family! *Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required. Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.