Program Manager | Access to Capital
StartOut is the leading national non-profit focused on supporting LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs. StartOut’s mission is to accelerate the growth of the LGBTQ+ community to drive its economic empowerment, building a world where every LGBTQ+ entrepreneur has equal access to lead, succeed, and shape the workforce of the future.
Founded in 2009, StartOut is a global community of over 25K members and is the largest organization supporting LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs. We serve all growth entrepreneurs of the LGBTQ+ community regardless of ethnicity, identity, or gender. Our membership is diverse in gender, race, identity, geographic location, and industries. To level the playing field and have measurable impact, we offer a highly subsidized suite of very successful programs to founders, including our investor portal, the StartOut Growth Lab (our 6-month accelerator), a mentorship program with over 1,000 matches to date, expert office hours, virtual and in-person events nationwide, and community building.
StartOut is committed to promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging both within our own organization and within the LGBTQ+ and entrepreneurial communities. This includes inclusive hiring practices, an organizational commitment to equitable and inclusive conduct (outlined in our Code of Conduct,) and initiatives and programs to increase equitable outcomes, especially for female-identified, BIPOC and Trans/GNC community members.
Additionally, StartOut is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants of any race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, neurotype, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status. In order to promote and support diversity at every level, this policy also applies to internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, outside vendors, members and customers, service clients, use of contractors and consultants, and dealings with the general public.
About The Role
As a StartOut Program Manager, you will be in charge of managing our Investor Portal and Access to Capital initiatives, leveraging our successful programs and thus directly increasing the impact of our community.
As part of a small but highly effective team to advance the economic empowerment of the LGBTQ+ community, you will be also responsible for the success of our founder member fundraising engagement initiatives: onboarding, customer service, investor introductions and impact measurement.
In brief, you are in charge of the overall happiness/ satisfaction of a diverse group of founder members.
A Day in the Life
Connecting our founder members and growth entrepreneurs to their most relevant source of capital (VCs, angel investors, accelerators, CDFIs, crowdfunding platforms, and any other funding source that may be beneficial to our community). Facilitating introductions between these investors and our Founder Members through the support of your team of associates in order to increase access to funding for our members. Growing a large and diverse pool of investors that can meet the needs of our Founder Members for venture capital.
Interacting with Founders:
- Keeping our community of Founders engaged by developing and implementing educational programming
- Working with SGL PM to support fundraising efforts by SGL cohort members
Interacting with Investors:
- Supporting the StartOut team in identifying new and diverse investor partners to join the investor community and onboard them accordingly
- Keeping our community of investors engaged by sending curated deal flow in line with their investment theses/ interests
- Keeping our community of investors engaged by sending monthly updates
- Keeping our community of investors engaged by developing and implementing educational programming and investor events
- Maintaining up-to-date records on existing investors and researching investment interests and investment thesis to improve our matching capabilities
- Supporting the Director of Programs with the implementation of new initiatives to increase the engagement of our investor community
Interacting with Partners:
- Speaking on behalf of StartOut when relevant to VC and A2C Program vertical
- Facilitating A2C related events with partner organizations
Managing the A2C Program Team:
- Providing guidance and technical assistance to the Access to Capital Program Associate
- Providing support and technical assistance to the Access to Capital virtual Programming Boards
- Advocating for resources to support the activities of the Access to Capital program vertical
- Supporting the growth and development of the Access to Capital program team
- Promoting DEI amongst our community of traditional investors
- Working collaboratively with other PMs to develop and implement educational content to help ensure that our founder members are investment ready
- Supporting our DEI objectives by sourcing BIPOC focused investors to support our community of founders
Reports to: Director of Programs
Manages: Program Associate, Access to Capital
- Passionate and/or experienced in supporting underrepresented communities, especially the LGBTQ+ community and underrepresented entrepreneurs
- You have 3+ years of experience as a Program or Project Manager.
- You have 2+ years of experience working and building relationships with funding providers (VCs, angel investors, accelerators, CDFIs, crowdfunding platforms, etc.) You are very familiar with the startup/ entrepreneurship world.
- You are detail oriented and organized - you love making order from chaos and take great pleasure in helping others tie up loose ends.
- You are a self starter who thrives in ambiguous environments - when you don’t know what to do next, you know how to leverage online resources, and can do a little sleuthing through shared resources as a first step, but recognize when to ask for help to ensure maximum efficiency.
- You live by deadlines and are a master communicator - you can keep yourself organized and deliver on time. When you sense a delay, you are quick to flag it and communicate roadblocks. Nothing falls through the cracks on your watch.
- Brings a proactive, committed, and positive attitude while working with a diverse team
- You are tech savvy and enjoy learning new systems to improve efficiency
- Bonus Points: you have experience using Salesforce.
This is a fully remote position but may require occasional travel, approximately 2 - 3x per year. Applicants must be based in the US and StartOut is unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.
$60,000 - $75,000 annually depending on experience
$5000 annual bonus depending on team and individual KPI performance
Unlimited time off
Health, dental, and vision insurance
Professional development stipend