Motif is looking for an amazing Product-focused Chief of Staff to join as employee #1!
We recently closed our pre-seed round from an incredible group of angels, and achieved our goal of gender parity on the cap table.
We have been in stealth so far, but already have more than 70 beta users. We are now focusing on bringing on and building a community of users, getting user feedback, and continuing to build out the product.
We are looking for a jack- or jill-of-all-trades who loves building sleek products to help us:
1. Continue to develop the Motif app
2. Build the company, including working towards our seed raise later this year.
About the role
Responsibilities may include
- Dog-fooding the product! You will live in Motif and help us spot bugs and improve the app continuously
- Working with the founders to conduct user interviews
- Working with the founders to provide user support
- Optimizing and managing the user onboarding process
- Expanding our Guides and Templates library in order to help users onboard and use Motif more easily
- Strategizing with the founders on questions like:
- How can we build a community for our users?
- When and how can we extend our user base?
- How can we improve our onboarding process?
- What type of users should we target?
- What use cases should we focus on?
- What types of features should we prioritize?
- Drafting investor and product updates, and outreach to specific target people
- Organizing the fundraising process for our seed round, including strategizing on which investors to interact with, preparing investor backgrounders for calls with potential investors, and drafting and managing all the conversations with those investors
- Executing on any strategies or experiments the team decides on
- Creating marketing materials
- Coordinating the work of our part-time Executive Assistant Amber, our part-time Finance/HR Consultant Lauren, and any other vendors that Amber and Lauren are not overseeing
- You are passionate about building sleek, easy-to-use products that unleash people's creativity
- You are extremely self-directed, you take initiative, you move fast, and you thrive in ambiguous environments. This job is not for someone who expects to be handed a list of tasks to be completed each day
- You are not afraid to push the founders to try out new strategies and ways of doing things
- You are an excellent writer that can quickly adopt the founders' friendly and open writing style
- You are excited to build a company from the ground up, to be exposed to all aspects of the business, and to work to create a strong company culture from Day 1
- You operate at a high-level AND care about getting the details right
- You are not afraid of unknowns
- You are comfortable talking to users, lawyers, investors, and vendors, sometimes all in one day
Not required but extremely nice to have
- Experience with entrepreneurship or very early-stage startups
- Product experience
- Experience with front-end web development (e.g. self-taught, or studied computer science, or did a bootcamp)
- Familiarity with Markdown and MDX/JSX
- Strong product sense and passion for design
- Experience using no-code tools like Airtable, Zapier, and Typeform
Our interview process
- Call with our current Interim Chief of Staff
- Call with Marie and Michael, the founders
- Independent project
- Final conversation with Marie and Michael