Gallagher Bassett is the premier provider of global claims services, dedicated to exceptional customer service and demonstrably superior outcomes. GB helps people, teams and businesses overcome adversity and loss through the guiding expertise of over 5,000 claims professionals, all committed to going beyond expectations in the continuous pursuit of a better way.
As Innovation Chief of Staff, you’ll be responsible for driving the innovation lifecycle for Gallagher Bassett, resulting in an industry-leading innovation pipeline. You will collaborate with company leaders to identify and nurture innovation concepts (i.e., products, business solutions, and continuous improvement initiatives) – driving the discovery and development of new products and services that are on strategy, on brand, beneficial to clients, and will drive profitable growth. You will also support our Business Transformation in gaining buy-in and deploying new innovations after successful pilot. In short, this role is designed to push our innovation limits by thinking out of the box and challenging the business norm to achieve demonstrably superior outcomes.
Developing an Innovation Agenda
Working closely with GB executive leadership, you will identify and select innovations to advance GB’s strategy. Innovation concepts will come from cross-functional collaboration with GB leaders and solicitation of grass-roots ideas from across the organization. You will guide stakeholders in developing business cases for high-potential innovations, including assessment of financial impact, strategic fit, and impact on client outcomes. With leadership input, you will develop a proposed “innovation agenda” and roadmap to be recommended to executive leadership for approval.
Nurturing New Innovations
Once the innovation agenda is defined, you will utilize business planning, product development, and program management expertise to nurture innovations in their growth from concept to product. You will flesh out innovation concepts, in essence taking them from rough sketch to detailed blueprint in collaboration with product stakeholders.
- Responsibility for developing project charters and product designs/requirements.
- Identification of stakeholder roles and responsibilities throughout the product lifecycle.
- Collaboration with Business Transformation to ensure communication and operational plans are in place.
- Oversight of products/innovation development (e.g., data science innovation, new IT/digital products), ensuring timely execution of the innovation agenda and roadmap.
Cross-functional collaboration will be key to ensuring that projects are properly resourced (both financially and in terms of subject matter expertise) and that stakeholders are kept apprised of progress.
Support Seamless Deployment
Prior to broad deployment of an innovation, you’ll be responsible for reporting on pilot progress to ensure the innovation achieves its stated goals and critical success factors. You will identify and gain buy-in on permanent (steady state) product ownership within a business unit.
- Directly manage the innovation / product development processes including but not limited to: idea generation, business case development, definition of critical success factors, planning, budgeting, reporting, problem solving, risk and issues management, communications, vendor management, and implementation.
- Partner cross-functionally across the organization to ensure alignment and buy-in on the innovation agenda.
- Oversee and report on progress toward innovation roadmap milestones, including oversight of all innovation initiatives in a program management capacity.
- Determine the roles, responsibilities, and funding requirements for each step in the business development process.
- Work in partnership with Client Services, Operations, IT, and other functions to direct the work of teams sourced to various projects/systems.
- Monitor and report on new business development progress and revenue from team’s efforts on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
- Develop and maintain relevant procedures and protocols for establishing soliciting, prioritizing, and selecting innovation concepts (products and services).
- Participate in developing department goals, objectives, processes, procedures, and systems.
- Participate in development of annual budget and capital planning process.
- Conduct post-production “lessons learned” sessions, ensuring insights are distributed/assigned appropriately.
- Work with minimum supervision and exercise sufficient discretion and independent judgment.
Five years of experience evaluating and planning strategies to solve project management and business problems, including developing operational and project plans. Experience in insurance, program management, innovation, product development, and/or management consulting is desirable.
U.S. Eligibility Requirements
- Interested candidates must submit an application and resume/CV online to be considered
- Are you 18 years of age or older or can you demonstrate legal capacity to enter a contract?
- Must be willing to submit to a background investigation; any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States. For U.S. employment opportunities, Gallagher hires U.S. citizens, permanent residents, asylees, refugees, and temporary residents. Temporary residence does not include those with non-immigrant work authorization (F, J, H or L visas), such as students in practical training status. Exceptions to these requirements will be determined based on shortage of qualified candidates with a particular skill. Gallagher will require proof of work authorization
- Must be willing to execute Gallagher’s Employee Agreement or Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreement which requires, among other things, post-employment obligations relating to non-solicitation, confidentiality and non-disclosure
Gallagher offers competitive salaries and benefits, including: medical/dental/vision plans, life and accident insurance, 401(K), employee stock purchase plan, educational expense reimbursement, employee assistance program, flexible work hours (availability varies by office and job function) training programs, matching gift program, and more.
Gallagher believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against nor favor any applicant because of race, sex, color, disability, national origin, religion, creed, age, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, gender, gender identity / expression, actual or perceived sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic. Equal employment opportunity will be extended in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, layoff, and termination. In addition, Gallagher will make reasonable accommodations to known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
United States-Illinois-Rolling Meadows