Director | Clinical Operations and Chief of Staff
Reporting to VP, Clinical Study Leadership (CSL)
Working with respective leadership teams, establish strategic planning for global Functions including assessment of departmental capabilities, identification of gaps, and formulation of plan to address functional and departmental needs. Represent the Functions at inter and intra departmental initiatives and provide operational expertise. Accountable to ensure functional areas operate within the current planned budget and allocated resources. Identify, communicate/present key information to department management / function head / senior management / executive management. Responsible for identification, planning and implementation of activities and projects to achieve departmental strategies, goals, and objectives. Strategically project and manage budget across the function in collaboration with the function head, strategic resourcing, department, and finance utilizing knowledge of current and future business environment. Influences and strategically manages linkages across the businesses and understands the impact of business decisions and solutions.
- Establish strategic plans for aligned global therapeutic area(s) (Immunology, Neuroscience) and pipeline capabilities to assess departmental capabilities and formulate road maps to address operational gaps.
- Communicate and champion the department’s vision, mission, and objectives.
- Represent and provide expertise on behalf of aligned therapeutic area(s) at working groups, workstreams, initiatives, inter and intra departmental committees and meetings. Serve as a positive and visible role model for continuous improvement, a change agent, and driver of industry leading performance. Actively engages key stakeholders to build sponsorship of key initiatives; identify, propose, and track actions to ensure alignment with wider business initiatives.
- Identify, screen, and select vendors in collaboration with other SMEs to deliver departmental objectives.
- Draft best practice documents and review new/modified processes to ensure feasibility of delivery and adherence by teams.
- Organize leadership meetings and ensure the delivery of goals and closure of action items.
- Organize communication of aligned therapeutic area(s) leadership team to the organization.
- Accountable for forecasting, construction, and management of budget. Responsible for short- and long-term forecasts and management. Must have established relationships with key finance resources/contacts.
- Analyzes and identifies budget favorability/unfavourability and provides recommendations for strategy.
- Provide input to resource models and strategy of future state based on demand. Partners with CSL leadership team on developing departmental hiring goals and collaborates with hiring manager, BHR, Talent Acquisition to ensure overall alignment of hiring strategy with requisitions to achieve these goals.
- Support CSL leadership with developing strategies for and executing on employee engagement plans and serve as a positive and visible role model for AbbVie’s Ways of Working and culture
- Leads cross departmental and cross-functional efforts to achieve functional strategies and goals. Responsible for overseeing operations activities/ projects managed by others within department.
- Responsible for leading effort to develop departmental goals. Makes strategic decisions that affect the department. Provides leadership to the department on strategic business issues.
- Independently leads Operations activities and self-initiated major projects. Assists leadership in the selection of action plans that best meets business objectives. Anticipates and leads issue resolution. Assures project portfolio remains in alignment with strategic initiatives.
- Negotiates with other Functional areas on portfolio outcomes and deliverables to meet conflicting demands (time, cost, quality/ performance).
- Bachelor/Master of Science (BSc/MSc), or PhD in Science of Business-related Field BSc with 13+ yrs. MSc with 7+ yrs. Ph.D. with 5+ years
- Accountable for establishment and management of tools; processes needed to ensure employee proficiency with departmental systems, procedures, tools, and guidelines (e.g., training, mentoring, effective delegation).
- Recognized leader in standard business procedures including project management practices, portfolio review, finance, and budgeting.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with broad business orientation.
- Expert operations management experience of 5+ years in the pharmaceutical or health care industry. Proven track record for successful projects
- Recognized as an expert with knowledge of clinical operations and drug development processes.
- Requires multi-faceted, broad-based experience in several functions and is considered to have in-depth knowledge of operational business needs, issues, mitigation plans, industry KPIs, etc.
- Operations experience with budget and matrixed environment is required.
- Pharmaceutical Development Senior Leadership and Clinical Development Operations (CDO) Senior Leadership, Finance, HR
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.