The Director Operations will oversee all aspects of 24/7 facility production operations for the Fairlife Canada plant in Peterborough, Ontario (dairy processing plant) that is built to use 100% Canadian milk. The incumbent will lead and mentor the entire operations team to drive performance as well as focus on continuous improvement to contribute in the design, development and execution of an operating model. This is an onsite role.
What You'll Do:
- Prepare department budget along with short and long term operations strategy in line with site goals and objectives
- Develop, align and execute multi-year operational strategy for site
- Prioritize operations urgencies and drive excellence
- Establish and follow routines to meet daily production targets for 24/7 facility
- Manage incoming milk plan, outloads and flex plan to prevent losses
- Prepare departmental costs and variances with regards to productivity, short and long-range planning, labor scheduling, product scheduling, raw materials, packaging supplies, product weights, sanitation and housekeeping
- Manage Supervisors who not only be accountable for production union staff but also may include union employees from other departments in the shift.
- Organize and facilitate production line activities to ensure conformance to establish requirements regarding quality, safety, environment, food safety, employee- relations, productivity and cost scheduled volume outputs
- Responsible for supervision of salaried and also unionized hourly team when needed. Responsibilities include: the employing, the training, the supervising, the disciplining, and the discharging of the employees in the department as per company guidelines and policies
- Reviews daily inventories and the daily production plan with the Material/Scheduling planner. Develops production and efficiency reports
- Coordinates schedule demands with staff and product movement personnel.
- Responsible for the equipment and people performance including efficiencies, losses, waste and yields
- Manages the product processing and packaging areas from receiving raw materials to finished product, including CIP systems and sanitation of areas
- Reviews plant quality through the review of microbiology test results, investigation and eradication of high or repeat area or product counts
- Accountable for 3rd party audits/results as well as internal programs compliance and audits
- Reviews product and equipment specifications to ensure conformance to product specifications are realized
- Reviews all nonconforming product or ingredients with Quality Assurance Director and prepare a plan to drive progress to short term and long term improvements.
- Monitors department throughout shifts, on weekends and assure employee compliance with GMP’s, sanitation, environment, safety and other company requirements
- Review CIP records daily and audit employee’s sampling techniques to assure proper sanitation standards are maintained, drive compliance and improvement program
- Verify that all plant equipment is in good working condition and all preventative maintenance is being performed on a scheduled basis by reviewing Preventive Maintenance schedules with the Maintenance team
- Review all work orders and daily maintenance reports with the Maintenance team
- Manage workforce in line with operations needs and flex workforce accordingly
- Review supply inventories and order supplies within budget allocation
- Oversee scheduling of management, employees, and temporary labor
- Lead product and package yield analysis and continually improve, track, report and investigate yield
- Have the responsibility of reviewing timesheets, overtime and approve payroll
- Ensure supervisory and hourly coverage needs are met as and when needed. Perform the duties of a supervisor when needed. Ensure cross training and skill pool to meet the needs of the business
- Perform training needs analyses, as appropriate, and initiates, develops, and/or coordinate the implementation of specific training and development programs for staff and associates
- Continually analyzes and reduces equipment downtime, usage losses and cost of production. Drive root cause corrective action for issues and continuous improvement in performance
- Understand the CBA and ensure conformance to it across all shifts.
- Investigate and address grievances and other union matters in a timely manner. Consult with management and Labor relations/HR as needed. Follow company policies and guidelines
- Responsible to meet plant targets related to Safety, People, Quality, Environment, Service, Productivity, Cost, Savings, Projects etc.
- Work with Production, Planning, Maintenance, Warehouse, Customer Service, Transportation, Product Development, Suppliers, Engineering, Quality, HR/LR, Associates and other related departments/teams in finding innovative ways to improve Performance of the site, and ensuring plant and company goals are met
- Lead and/or support capital and opex projects
- Work with leadership to develop and execute annual business plans to support business growth and performance
- Support Employee involvement in Safety, Analytical Problem Solving, Project Planning, Vendor and Customer Relations, fostering a Team atmosphere.
- Participate in the ISO, GMP, FSSC, AIB, KORE and other internal audits and own the actions to drive improvements for development of procedures and corrective actions
- Travel to other sites in the Coca Cola system as needed, within and outside Canada
- Perform other duties as necessary and/or assigned
Food Safety Responsibilities:
- Notify supervision of any repairs or adjustments that are required that may affect product quality or food safety, ensure compliance to food safety maintenance program
- Perform all duties necessary to meet Company, Customer and/or Government requirements/standards as prioritized by the Company.
- Ability to initiate action to prevent the occurrence of nonconformities relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the product, processes, quality system, or safety system
- Identify and record any problems relating to Food Safety and the Quality of the ingredients, processes, quality system, or safety system
- Control further processing or delivery of nonconforming product in terms of Food Safety and Quality issues until the deficiency or unsatisfactory condition has been corrected
- Ensure compliance to company’s guidelines for food safety and quality standards to ensure products are produced following those standards to provide high quality beverages to our customer
What You'll Need:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty required to meet business objectives on safety, people, quality, delivery, inventory & cost, . The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have the ability to trouble shoot problems and be persistent until a solution is found
- Must work in a safe manner and follow all safety procedures including use of safety equipment
- Must be willing to ask for assistance when the process is unclear
- Ability to work all shifts including off shifts as needed
- Agility to run a 24/7 operations to ensure product availability
Education And/or Experience
- 10+ years' experience in a manufacturing environment is required
- 5+ years' experience in Fluid Milk or Value-Added processing required
- Bachelor’s Degree; Engineering, Food Science or Dairy Science required, with proven knowledge of dairy technology, process flow, and fluid mass balance
- Leading and managing Multi million dollars capital projects experience required
- Experience working in a unionized environment preferred
- Experience working under manufacturing operating models based on KPIs, Continuous Improvement tools, Quality Tools and Gap Closure Action Plans
- Leadership experience within complex manufacturing facilities
- Working knowledge of CFIA/PMO/OMAFRA/DFO/local and other regulations an asset
- Ability to implement fundamental TQM and Lean Manufacturing principals across the operations
- Ability to meet production schedules with shifting priorities for 24/7 facility
- Understanding of CIP operations, functionality and chemistry
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Demonstrated leadership experience and success working in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading and managing 24/7 operations
Coca-Cola Limited is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. We have a number of programs and policies in place to support this goal. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact our HR Shared Service team by calling 1-877-677-6774. Coca-Cola Limited will consult with all applicants with a disability who request accommodation during the recruitment process to ensure that the accommodation provided takes into account the applicants individual accessibility needs.
Continuous Improvement (CI), Dairy, Leadership, Manufacturing, Manufacturing Environments, Plant Operations
Our Purpose And Growth Culture:
We are taking deliberate action to nurture an inclusive culture that is grounded in our company purpose, to refresh the world and make a difference. We act with a growth mindset, take an expansive approach to what’s possible and believe in continuous learning to improve our business and ourselves. We focus on four key behaviors – curious, empowered, inclusive and agile – and value how we work as much as what we achieve. We believe that our culture is one of the reasons
SkillsManufacturing Strategies; Manufacturing Management
Our Purpose And Growth Culture:
We are taking deliberate action to nurture an inclusive culture that is grounded in our company purpose, to refresh the world and make a difference. We act with a growth mindset, take an expansive approach to what’s possible and believe in continuous learning to improve our business and ourselves. We focus on four key behaviors – curious, empowered, inclusive and agile – and value how we work as much as what we achieve. We believe that our culture is one of the reasons our company continues to thrive after 130+ years. Visit Our Purpose and Vision to learn more about these behaviors and how you can bring them to life in your next role at Coca-Cola.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. When we collect your personal information as part of a job application or offer of employment, we do so in accordance with industry standards and best practices and in compliance with applicable privacy laws.