Director of Operations
The Director of Operations is ultimately responsible for all production activities for both the Iowa and South Carolina Facilities. Production activities include all aspects of the manufacturing process which includes scheduling, purchasing, CNC Machining, assembly, sampling and shipping/receiving. This senior level management position needs to work closely with direct reports and the President to develop and implement continuous improvement plans.
Essential Functions (include the following; however, other duties may apply.)
- Creates and implements long and short-range planning, policies, programs and objectives.
- Develops the manufacturing plan and establishes procedures for maintaining high standards of manufacturing operations to ensure that products conform to established customer and company quality standards.
- Achieves optimum employee levels with the least amount of overhead and raw material costs to meet annual budget.
- Formulates manufacturing policies and programs that guide the organization in maintaining and improving its competitive position and the profitability of the operation.
- Directs and monitors department managers to accomplish goals of the manufacturing plan, consistent with established manufacturing and safety procedures. Acts as liaison between department management/subordinate levels, to inform personnel of communications, decisions, policies and all matters that affect their performance, attitudes and results.
- Hires, trains, develops and evaluates staff. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy. Ensures compliance with current federal, state and local regulations. Consults with Human Resources Department as appropriate.
- Identifies, recommends and implements changes to improve productivity and reduce cost and scrap, monitor scrap and rework data.
- Initiates and coordinates major projects (e.g., plant layout changes, installation of capital equipment, major repairs, etc.).
- Perform miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned and required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- People-focused leader (not a manager).
- Performance Management.
- Project Management.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Technical Capacity.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Business Acumen.
- Personal Effectiveness/Credibility.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Presentation Skills.
This position manages all departmental managers under their purveyance as direct reports. Responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
This job operates in a professional office environment as well as a manufacturing production environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. Basic lifting, carrying, and moving up to 40 lbs. Bending, standing, twisting, reaching, walking all would be a normal day. Entire day could be seated or on your feet.
This is a full-time position.
This position requires up to 25% travel.
Required Education and Experience
- BA/BS in industrial, mechanical or business administration, or a 4-year technical degree in related discipline.
- 10+ years of experience in manufacturing management, preferably in a process-oriented operations, and/or related industry. A minimum of 5 years of experience managing a significant segment of a large manufacturer or the entire operation of a smaller manufacturer.
- Strong knowledge and ability to teach and implement Lean principles and tools.
- Proven knowledge and execution of enterprise level process improvement.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience working within a contract manufacturing environment or other “one-off” type organization.
- Practical CNC knowledge and experience.
Company provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Results focused: Focused on measurable goals, improvements, and results. Analyze data and track progress to them. Concerned with the what, not the how, as long the how doesn’t threaten our customer or employee base. Doesn’t get lost in the everyday weeds.
Level 5 leadership capability: Consistently works to move the company forward. Humility: gives credit and takes blame. Set company up for success outside of them, and into the next generations.
Customer focused: Create a companywide culture of serving the customer.
Employee focused: Take care of employees. A lot of people we have had over the long term because they feel ownership takes care of them. We want to have an environment that people want to come to work at, not feel they must because they are trapped.
Taking care of employees is critical to success in an industry where labor shortage is the number one issue.