Aegis Ventures is a next-generation startup studio that partners with entrepreneurs and industry leaders to originate, launch, and scale transformative companies. The Aegis platform brings together market-shaping ideas, permanent growth capital, and ambitious individuals who are driven to solve major societal problems. We aim to build companies with the capacity for vast impact, with an initial focus on two key areas: artificial intelligence and virtual care. Within these verticals, Aegis seeks to create companies that use technology to transform healthcare quality, access, and cost, focusing on innovations that promote seamless continuity of care, patient empowerment, and better-informed clinical decision-making.
About The Role
The Chief of Staff (CoS) has two critical areas of contribution within our studio.
- They are a strategic advisor to our Managing Partner, championing key projects and monitoring performance. Taking ideas and goals and then creating executable strategies and project plans are critical parts of being successful
- With visibility into all areas of the studio, they also have the opportunity to advise the Managing Partner in administrative, operational, strategic, and financial functions. You will have a seat at the table to influence and make recommendations for how we do business and support our employees
The right individual will thrive in this fast-paced entrepreneurial environment where they can identify opportunities for impact and improvement in addition to offering day-to-day support to the leadership team. The CoS will leverage their access to streamline day-to-day operations, communications, and strategic decision-making across the studio ecosystem. They will be optimally positioned to connect the dots and proactively identify challenges and opportunities. To be successful, the CoS will translate strategic conversations into actionable roadmaps, facilitating a culture of accountability within the studio and across our portfolio companies.
A successful candidate will be able to work independently in ambiguous, unstructured work environments. We are looking for a high-energy, strategic thinker with an entrepreneurial disposition and a willingness to leave no stone unturned in shepherding our business to the next level.
The role will be based in New York and will receive a competitive compensation package, including top-tier benefits and equity participation in all companies the studio launches.
- Support execution of a wide variety of initiatives and processes on behalf of the Managing Partner, including strategy, operations/financial planning, and special projects, through both skillful delegation and personal follow-through as needed
- Distill strategic discussions into tactical plans, prioritizing both by time horizon and level of urgency, tracking key project progress & milestones across functions/senior leaders
- Run meetings on behalf of the Managing Partner, including setting meeting agendas, compiling notes and action items, and managing follow-ups for all projects.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the Managing Partner, delivering synthesized reports and ensuring that priority requests are flagged.
- Support Managing Partner in identifying priority areas and defining success metrics, owning the development and longitudinal monitoring of company-wide OKRs, and running review sessions so we can learn from each project and improve the approach to future efforts
- Ghostwrite communications (i.e., emails, memos, decks) on behalf of the Managing Partner to foster and enable real-time communication and collaborative culture
- Plan and direct administrative, financial, and operational activities for the Managing Partner
- Forge and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders internally and key partners externally
- Report synthesized information and action items on behalf of the Managing Partner and keep a pulse on the organization to maximize his reach and impact
- 5+ years of relevant experience in business strategy and operations (preferably within the early-stage startup ecosystem). Previous experience as a Chief of Staff is preferred and will accelerate the onboarding and integration process
- Experience and passionate interest in Healthcare, Healthcare Technology, Technology, Venture Capital, or other related industries
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to oversee the advancement of multiple high-priority initiatives of varying timelines with minimal direction
- A proven track record of developing effective and consultative relationships across all levels and bringing people together to successfully support organizational growth
- Exceptional listening skills and ability to articulate an inspiring vision for complex initiatives and ensure there is sufficient accountability and follow-up to deliver results
- Unmatched writing and communication skills with venture operators and company leadership
- Ability to balance competing priorities and various opinions from a wide range of sources and distill data for senior executive decision-making clearly and concisely
- Ability to maintain a long-term, strategic view on key issues while overseeing the detailed execution of day-to-day tasks
- Confident self-starter with a high level of initiative and a strong desire to independently invent novel solutions in a lean, entrepreneurial environment
- Open-mindedness and eagerness to grow in the role alongside Managing Partner
- Resilience to take risks, bounce back from setbacks, and learn quickly
- High intellectual curiosity, personal gravitas, and galvanizing energy
Aegis Ventures is a proud Equal Opportunity Employer – we recruit, train, compensate and promote our team members based on qualifications. We know how important it is not only to include but to actively seek out a diversity of opinions and voices. We want to hear from you regardless of your race, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.