PayJoy is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping a billion people around the world step into the modern financial system for the first time and supporting them on a path to financial success. Founded in 2015, PayJoy’s “secret sauce” technology turns a smartphone into collateral to jumpstart unbanked consumers into the credit system. We reached profitability in 2020 and are growing 3x annually, reaching 4 million happy customers and over a billion dollars of sales in 2022.
Location: 1-2 days per week in person in-office in San Francisco; 3-4 days remote
Term: 2 years
Personal Invitation from the CEO
Thank you for your interest in working with me! Now is a very exciting time at PayJoy, as we entered “growth stage” last year: our revenue is tripling again this year to $300M; we grew from 200 to 1000 people in the last 12 months; and we have a path ahead to over $1B revenue and IPO if we choose to!
I am looking for a Chief of Staff who can be a key partner to help me reach maximum effectiveness. You should be excited to spend a couple of years at the center of a high-growth, intense, fast moving, mission-driven startup – PayJoy – guiding, listening and participating in the conversations of the executive team as we guide PayJoy through the next chapter, and helping us to operate at very high standards.
You should be willing to “roll up your sleeves” and dig into all kinds of work, and in exchange you will learn how to be a startup executive. Sometimes that work can be tedious and unglamorous, but important to the company’s success. Sometimes I’ll ask you to be my representative / delegate, effectively letting me clone myself so I can get more done or catch a break to recharge when I’m worn down. In exchange for two years of your maximum effort, I will be happy to support you in founding your own startup or moving to a leadership role at PayJoy or any other company you choose.
We will be a close team, speaking regularly, building a high degree of candid communication so we can move fast to get stuff done and celebrate the wins with a high five (virtual or in-person) when we nail it and achieve success!
Please apply online and include a cover letter with you resume, explaining why you think you would excel at this role. I look forward to speaking with you!
- Support CEO by preparing, organizing, and running events and meetings of the executive team, leadership team, and company-wide presentations, upgrading them to be the most effective and productive
- Support CEO and executive team in decision making through research and analysis of options on key strategic decisions
- Help CEO prioritize task-list and take on tasks that would otherwise fall to the CEO
- Represent the CEO in meetings where CEO cannot attend, and report back with notes, observations, opinions, and recommendations
- MBA from a top-tier global program, or equivalent
- 3+ years professional experience in a world-class business of 1000+ people
- 2+ years of experience in the US
- Demonstrated commitment to social impact through 2+ years of volunteer work, social enterprise work, nonprofit, or similar
- International experience living outside of your country of origin for 2+ years (desired)
- Conversant in Spanish language (helpful)
Key Traits / Abilities
- Mission Driven: deeply motivated to make a positive impact on the lives of under-privileged people worldwide.
- Responsible and Organized: great at handling a large number and variety of tasks, keeping track of them without losing one, and communicating status updates or roadblocks encountered.
- Strategic thinker: naturally steps back to identify the appropriate big principles that apply to any specific situation, enjoys jumping into SWOT analysis of situations, and looks ahead several moves in the chess game to “look around corners” and figure out the end game.
- Ambitious yet Supporting: excited at the opportunity to build something big, yet not burdened by excessive ego. Not ashamed to play a supporting role in helping others, in service of the team achieving incredible results and reaching our customers.
- Humble and Confident: self aware of own faults, weakness, and challenges, while also confident in ability to persevere and make a large impact.
- Company-funded health, dental, and vision insurance for employee and immediate family
- Company-funded employee life and disability insurance
- 401k contribution
- Company holidays; 15 days of vacation (20 at 3rd year); unlimited sick leave
- Annual fitness benefit ($500); professional development benefit ($2000), and international travel benefit ($2000)
- Commuter benefit
- Headphone benefit
PayJoy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Finance for the next billion * Ownership * Break Through Walls * Live Communication * Transparency & Directness * Focus on Scale * Work-Life Balance * Embrace Diversity * Speed