At Matter Labs, we are building zkSync : a blockchain scaling solution secured purely by cutting-edge cryptography. Our mission is to scale Ethereum to billions of users, fully preserving its most valuable properties — permissionlessness, trustlessness, and resilience, — in order to protect and enhance global economic freedom.
We hold a strong opinion that zero-knowledge proofs (ZKP) are the only technology today that can achieve this goal.
We are also proud to be the pioneer of the ZKP tech on Ethereum, and one of the few companies in the world with strong expertise in this field. Our contributions over the last 3 years include the first ZK rollup ever built, the first implementation of recursive ZK proofs on Ethereum, and the world’s first practical FPGA-based ZKP accelerator. Most recently, we launched a zkEVM testnet , making zkSync the first ZK rollup capable of executing native Ethereum smart contracts.
Across all hires we make at Matter Labs, regardless of role or team, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours , where we value freedom, ownership mindset, and meritocracy.
At Matter Labs operational excellence is a major focal point of the organization: we work with some of the best talent in the world, and being able to provide the internal infrastructure to match is critical.
As we’re preparing for pivotal company milestones and gearing up for hypergrowth, we’re looking for best-in-class operators to join the team and build a strong foundation for what’s to come.
As Chief of Staff to the CEO, you will play a key role in the success of the business: you will work closely with the CEO to make sure the company is operating efficiently, effectively, and everyone (including the CEO) is set up to thrive. In this role you will be require to anticipate any future needs of the CEO and the business. No task should be too small or big or impossible, you should be someone that gets things done!
Your day-to-day tasks will vary widely, and will require you to be flexible, proactive, creative and strategic. We value working with high degrees of autonomy, impact, and accountability. We care about results, and give lots of trust while working on strong alignment to achieve those results.
- Internal comms / alignment: you will help to keep the entire Leaderships team aligned on strategy, goals, and results. This includes documentation as well as communication to the rest of the organization. You will serve as the go-to person for the CEO, and will work to solve problems and deal with issues before they are brought to the CEO. You will be in all meetings regarding strategy and will be responsible for communicating outcomes to all stakeholders to ensure alignment
- External comms: You will own the preparation of external engagement materials, including decks, thought-pieces, keynote presentations, etc. It's important to have a strategic approach in this area and make sure that your are working with our Events and Marketing team on behalf of the CEO
- Research: You'll need to understand the external industry and research this constantly. You will be require to present the CEO with a daily update on highlights of industry news and financial news. You will be responsible for understanding what is important to share and not to share.
- Personal Assistance - From time to time this role will require you to support the CEO with personal tasks such as liaising with his family for medical appointments, travel itineraries, researching and understanding how to make any experience of events/travel to the highest standard. For example, what would you do if there is no desk in a hotel whilst they travel? How would you research and resolve something like this without involving the CEO? Working with the CEO so closely on the business side we'd also from time to time expect you to support with across some personal matter (although a small part of the role)
- Systems & Performance: you will be working with the data as well as the leadership team to define and track goals and performance across all the different operations factors. You will make recommendations on how the team can work more efficiently and effectively, what systems and processes need to be put in place, and will serve as a thought-partner to cross-functional leadership on how to improve their organizations as well
- Proactive Management - you will create efficiencies in the CEO’s schedule, and will sometimes attend meetings in the CEOs stead. You will summarize status updates and advise on any actions that need to be taken, and will often proactively manage things on the CEO’s behalf
- Excellent communications and influencing skills - able to manage up or down in the organization, and comfortable working with senior leadership
- Knowledge of the crypto industry as a whole is massive bonus. Even better if you understand the technical side of what we are building. We are a mission focussed business and so it's essential for this personal to have this in mind, be aligned with this and can add value through their knowledge of the competitive market place we are in
- Strong storytelling and writing skills combined with the ability to present data in a way that is persuasive to all audiences
- Ability to deep-dive into data, identify and quantify opportunities, and design improvements and solutions
- Can do attitude and proven experience of getting things done
- Comfortable working autonomously, and able to quickly respond to problems and address conflicting stakeholder requirements
- Natural curiosity and a solutions-oriented mindset
- Natural good at building good relationships
- 5+ years of work experience in a relevant field with demonstrated cross-functional and collaborative project or team management experience
- Experience working in a high growth startup is a must
- Proficient in Excel
- Fluent in English - fluent in German is also a must (massive bonus if also fluent in Russian)
Working at Matter Labs
You will receive highly competitive compensation and equity options. The roles are fully remote, but you are welcome to sit in one of our offices, or a co-working space of your choice. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be more productive.
Working at Matter Labs it’s critically important that our goals and values (freedom, ownership mindset, and meritocracy) align. Building a potentially globally transformative product, we value diversity of thought, and believe that diversity of thought comes from diversity of backgrounds. We welcome applicants from across the spectrum of all: race, gender, ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, age, religion, spirituality, identity and experience.
Apply now if this role sounds of interest and we aim to let you know next steps in your applications as soon as possible.