Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
About The Role:
The role of the Chief of Staff has been given various definitions in the last several years, but at Bowery, it can be broken down very simply: creatively solve any problem that is thrown your way with a bias toward efficiency and an executive mindset. In return, you will learn firsthand how a rapidly growing company is built, run, and scaled. The Chief of Staff role is constantly changing based on the needs of the company. You will have your hand in almost every part of the business at some point, but most importantly, you will be the right-hand person and confidant of the CEO, helping to both amplify their efforts and function as a thought partner on a diverse set of challenges. As the CoS, you will regularly need to switch between the strategic and the tactical, and make connections between the two. When your time as CoS is done, we’ll work closely with you to figure out the best next step for your career, whether it’s at Bowery or something else.
What You'll Do:
- Things at Bowery are constantly changing, so the role you start in will very likely feel different from the role you end in. Here are some areas you’ll be heavily involved in:
- Board management
- Strategic planning
- Goal setting / organization
- Coordinating operating cadence of Leadership Team
- Recommending, leading, and/or implementing process improvement initiatives
- Internal communications
- Leading special projects
- Managing and coordinating highly cross functional initiatives
- Occasionally representing Bowery externally, whether that means giving a farm tour or speaking with media
- Preparing the CEO for high consequence external and internal meetings
- Above all, you will be a strategic advisor and confidant of the CEO, helping to both amplify their efforts throughout the company and function as a thought partner on a diverse set of challenges. You will have your hand in almost every part of the business.
Who You Are:
- Comfortable with ambiguity: Bowery is always evolving, which means your role is evolving too. You will need to be able to thrive in open-ended situations, which makes this role both challenging and rewarding.
- Flexible and adaptable learner: You will likely have your hand in a little bit of everything, which means you’ll regularly come across situations you’ve never encountered before. You’ll need the attitude and aptitude of a learner.
- Agile communicator: This role requires clear and broad communication. Sometimes you will be required to represent the perspective of the CEO, both internally and externally. Simultaneously, you will need to find your own voice with the CEO, the Leadership Team and the company as a whole.
- Can lead without authority: Much of your time will be spent with the Leadership Team, so you’ll need to work effectively with very senior / experienced people while also building strong working relationships at all levels of the company.
- Curious and questioning: We are in a constant state of improving and optimizing. You will be asked to proactively question our status quo and push for improvements in our processes across the business.
- Honesty: You say what you mean and mean what you say. Your opinion matters, even if that opinion is difficult to deliver.
- Highly organized: We’re moving fast, and things can feel chaotic sometimes. It’s paramount that you can take the pace in stride and stay organized, both for you and the CEO.
- Expert Project Manager: A core piece of the role will require you to track and synthesize multiple work streams across various teams in a way that amplifies the CEO’s impact. Can see the forest and the trees: The CoS role is both strategic and tactical, and you will need to deftly switch between these two mindsets often.
- Mission Driven: The CoS role entails living and breathing our mission and vision to create a better fresh food system for ourselves and the planet. Company-mission alignment is a core part of your values.
- Ideally, you’ll have start-up or mid-stage tech company experience in an operational capacity, or you come from a consulting or finance background
- You have a bias toward action and have experience with the fast pace of a start-up
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit www.BoweryFarming.comPress kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/