Millions of people across the world come to Pinterest to find new ideas every day. It’s where they get inspiration, dream about new possibilities and plan for what matters most. Our mission is to help those people find their inspiration and create a life they love. In your role, you’ll be challenged to take on work that upholds this mission and pushes Pinterest forward. You’ll grow as a person and leader in your field, all the while helping Pinners make their lives better in the positive corner of the internet.
Our new progressive work model is called PinFlex, a term that’s uniquely Pinterest to describe our flexible approach to living and working. Visit our PinFlex landing page to learn more.
We’re looking for a highly-driven, self-motivated individual to work directly with our Head of Design and her leadership team to drive key strategic initiatives and outcomes across the Design organization. As a member of the Design Leadership team (DLT), directly reporting to the Head of Design, the Chief of Staff will extend the reach of Design Leadership by owning special projects end-to-end and acting as the Head of Designs proxy, when needed. As a trusted thought-leader and representative of the Design organization cross-functionally, you will wear many hats and hone many skills.
You operate with high integrity and strive to apply sound deductive reasoning in all situations. You’re seen as approachable, collaborative, and non-political by your stakeholders and peers. You care about fostering a positive and inclusive team culture and take proactive action to course-correct unproductive behaviors. You consistently focus on results, even under challenging circumstances.
This is a unique opportunity to help build and define how we work at an exciting moment in Pinterest’s history. If you’re excited and motivated by our mission and love creative problem solving, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Do
- At a high-level, this role will partner with the Head of Design as well as other senior design leadership to develop and execute strategies that tackle our biggest morale/cultural, operational, organizational, and talent problems across the Design team.
- This role will work alongside the Head of Design to up-level the Design team across design quality, design management, and design strategy.
- Develop a strategy and execute on how the Design team connects and creates transparency across the team, including things like Design All Hands.
- Works with the Head of Design to identify the highest priority workstreams and helps to identify who should lead the workstream, creating consistency in the way we are checking in on progress across all workstreams. An example of such a workstream would be developing clearer career paths and titling across Design.
- Developing hiring strategies that include things like where we hire, which levels we hire, and potential talent specializations we should focus on.
- Identifying ways to boost morale and reduce attrition, constantly pushing our culture to be the best Design culture there is to be at, through things like Employee Voice survey result strategies, offsites, design team principles, and more.
What We’re Looking For
- 8+ years working on a Design team and 2+ years in a leadership role on a Design team where you had a hand in driving operational excellence on that team.
- A proven highly proficient operator who can proactively identify problems, develop a clear action plan, and execute to that plan to drive impact across an organization.
- You understand the balance between scrappy and rigor, and ultimately how research translates into design, product, and business decisions. Can balance working with urgency and adapt methodological rigor as needed for the situation.
- You have demonstrated examples of leadership skills that only time can teach: improving organizational health, growing and nurturing teams, executing across multiple stakeholders, and setting priorities effectively.
- High attention to detail, even under urgent or high-pressure circumstances
- Strong alignment with Pinterest culture and values, including being a strong advocate for creating a diverse and inclusive environment for Design.
Our Commitment To Diversity
At Pinterest, our mission is to bring everyone the inspiration to create a life they love—and that includes our employees. We’re taking on the most exciting challenges of our working lives, and we succeed with a team that represents an inclusive and diverse set of identities and backgrounds.