Mission & Background
Biotech is on the verge of a revolution. Fundamental breakthroughs and foundational new technologies have resulted in the lowering of genome sequencing costs, the advent of CRISPR, and increasingly sophisticated machine learning algorithms. These developments are unleashing the ability to interrogate human biology in unprecedented ways. However, the biotech industry and drug development industry have yet to bring these latest cutting edge developments to bear. 97% of cancer drugs that enter the clinic never get approved, resulting from a lack of efficacy or toxic side effects indicating a lack of understanding of true underlying mechanisms of actions.
Meliora Therapeutics’ vision as a cancer therapeutics company is to bring the latest advancements across molecular biology and computational methods together in order to fight cancer. We believe that by building a world class, diverse, multi disciplinary team we have the opportunity to create new therapies that significantly improve clinical outcomes through developing the first true multi-omics target discovery and development platform. The founding team of Meliora includes CEO David Li (1st business hire at Benchling, GS, KKR, Penn Life Sciences and Management), scientific founder Dr. Jason Sheltzer (Faculty at Yale School of Medicine, Presidential Early Career Award, Forbes 30u30), Joan Smith (Sr. Staff engineer at Google, MIT Physics), and Zach Owen (Sr. Data Scientist at Verily, previous ML startup technical co-founder, MIT PhD). The science on which the company was founded was completed in Jason’s lab and published in Science Translational Medicine in 2019 (link here) and further written up in the New York Times. Meliora’s investors include leading venture funds (including Village Global, backed by Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, and others, Obvious Ventures, Axial Ventures) as well as numerous biotech angels.
What we do & who we’re looking for:
What we do & who we're looking for:
Meliora is pioneering a novel approach to oncology drug development - one which is based on mechanism of action. To start, we have developed a computational platform which can scalably and reliably identify compelling and potent starting points for high value cancer targets. This product engine is based on a Mechanism of Action atlas of molecular fingerprints, and has already identified a number of promising hits. It is now our mandate as a company to expand these computational hits into development candidate programs as well as continue to deepen and broaden the capabilities of our computational platform.
We are looking for a proactive, detail oriented, organized, and passionate individual who wants to have an immense impact on building a next generation biotech company. This position is a high leverage role with huge expansion opportunities and has an intimate view of building a biotech from the ground up. The role will report into the CEO and initial responsibilities will be spread across both key external and internal stakeholders, including helping drive and execute investor communications, business development partners, press, internal planning, hiring, and more. If you thrive in ambiguity and desire to make an immense impact, this could be the perfect role for you. The successful candidate will delight in being multi-disciplinary, seek excellence at every turn, and have an unyielding desire to continuously learn. If this sounds like you, we would love to speak with you.
Background and skills we are looking for:
- Ideal candidate has B.A., B.S., M.S. or Ph.D in a life sciences discipline as well as a background in strategic consulting, investment banking / private equity, or previous experience at an early stage startup is a plus
- Demonstrated track record of high performance, relentless execution in small, entrepreneurial environments
- Ability to influence stakeholders of all levels and drive appropriate prioritization of top strategic initiatives of the company
- A tenacious approach to creating impact - ready to roll up the sleeves and do whatever it takes to move quickly and effectively
- Strong data intuition - able to think critically, assess experimental data, and holistically review combinations of different scientific data sets in order to track and help drive key initiatives
- Ability to be highly successful operating in a multidisciplinary environment and highly effective collaborating across functional teams is essential
What you’ll do:
- Manage and execute strategic initiatives across BD, investor relations
- Proactively suggest strategic feedback to CEO and executive team
- Build and oversee systems for outsourced vendors for accounting, accounts payable, taxes, and other back office business functions
- Work with the leadership team and others to translate strategy into deliverables that can be measured and managed.
- Support the development and preparation of executive-level presentations
- Attend board meetings to take and to distribute notes from the meeting.
- Build and integrate slide decks to prepare for internal and external meetings/presentations.
- Be willing to grow and learn.
- Be a culture setter by embodying the company’s principles of truth-seeking, mutual respect, integrity, drive, and teamwork.