We’re looking for our first business operations and strategy hire to help us create a more sustainable food system. You are a pepper jack of all trades and want to do and learn anything to help us radically displace commodity dairy products. And most importantly, you share our values. This position is based in Oakland, CA and offers competitive salary and equity.
Our food system represents a whopping 34% of global carbon emissions and is the primary driver of species extinction and deforestation. Within food, the biggest single problem is cows. Cows outweigh humans 🤯 and account for over 10% of carbon emissions. Dairy alone produces more carbon than all of aviation.
But the problem is that cows and their milk taste really good, and no amount of guilt will ever stop us from devouring them. The only solution is to create sustainable products that are better than cows on two factors: taste and cost.
Tezza is a public benefit corporation that discovers and designs microbial communities that transform inexpensive, sustainable plants into new categories of fermented foods. This approach allows us to create plant-based products that are absurdly delicious and cheaper than their animal-based counterparts. We are starting with the most resource-intensive and addictive dairy product: 🧀.
About the position
You will be working with us on our business execution and overall strategy. Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Work with founding team to set company strategy and streamline company operations
- Support all commercialization efforts, including business development, sales, marketing, and operations
- Support all manufacturing efforts
- Develop and implement supply chain strategy
- Drive finance and HR functions
- Act as internal consultant, solving problems across all pillars of the company
- Build a company where mission and money meet
- This position is full time and not remote
- 3+ years of experience in biz ops at early-stage startup, food CPG, or consulting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with an orientation towards serving the team
- Hungry to learn and do literally anything that supports the mission, all while maintaining a positive attitude
- Strategic and attentive to detail
- Fluent with spreadsheets and slide decks
- Would like to be a founder in the future
- A deeply held conviction in our mission and values
What do you get out of it?
- Work on global sustainability problems via a hands-on, tasty product
- Large growth potential in different areas (management, research, operations, manufacturing, branding, etc)
- Learn about different aspects of building an early-stage startup
- A chance to build the kind of place where you’d like to work
If interested, what should you do?
We build relationships thoughtfully, and this approach takes time. Over multiple conversations, we will seek to understand how we can support you, and hopefully you will find out whether we are a good fit for your goals or simply a bunch of nutcases. You can learn about our values, hiring process, and benefits here.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and responses to the following prompts (a conversational, unpolished tone is fine):
- What motivates you right now? When you think about your short life, what motivates you for the long term? And most importantly, why? Where did those motivations come from?
- What are the most important things that you are striving to improve in yourself? What are you doing to work on them? And how would that work either amplify a superpower or cure an achilles heel?
Tezza is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. But we acknowledge that we are flawed humans within a flawed society. We do our best and apologize and learn when that’s not enough.