vChief is searching for independent consultants interested in providing chief of staff services to our clients. This work is largely part-time for each client, between 5 – 20 hours per week, typically on a long-term basis. Our clients are incredibly varied, from CEOs & COOs, to small business owners, to nonprofit executive directors, to entrepreneurs, to leaders in government and academia. Their needs are equally varied, so no two chiefs of staff have the exact same set of responsibilities. The one common theme is that our Chiefs of Staff act as key thought partners—a leader’s “right hand”—and are perpetually seeking ways to leverage their client’s time so they can be the best leader possible.
vChief is focused on connecting leaders with chiefs of staff. We recruit, select and vet professionals with experience in strategy, operations, communications, and project management, many of whom have been in chief of staff roles previously. To ensure a consistent approach across all clients, we provide our chiefs of staff a set of best practices around completing a needs-assessment, setting priorities with clients, communicating effectively on their behalf, project management and more. Leaders will opt into a monthly level of service to meet their needs, which will be provided by one of our contracted chiefs of staff.
- Complete a comprehensive needs assessment with new clients to identify their unique needs and challenges, and create a plan to address them
- Help client identify priorities, strategically align his/her time with those, and revisit them regularly to assess progress
- Act as a key thought partner; brainstorming & identifying solutions to challenges
- Provide communications support: drafting emails, reports, memos, presentations, internal and external communications, and/or social media posts
- Support clients with any of the following areas: strategic planning; project management; meeting preparation & follow up; action planning; team management; finance; and human resources
Education & Prior Experience:
- Minimum of 8-15+ years of professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, MPA, or other professional degree preferred
- Experience in management, strategy, operations, and/or project management roles; previous chief of staff experience highly desirable
- Strong history of promotions and progression in roles with demonstrable results
Knowledge, skills & mindsets:
- You are a strategic thinker, data-driven and analytical in your approach. You are great at identifying solutions to problems.
- You are a stellar communicator in all forms. You can easily learn to communicate in someone else’s “written voice".
- You excel at building relationships and networks, and influencing others, particularly those you don’t directly manage, to achieve outcomes.
- You thrive on systems and process, and you love creating order out of chaos.
- You’re obsessed with productivity, managing your time and others’ so that no moment is wasted.
- You are experienced and comfortable working in a fast-paced, virtual environment. You are flexible and available as needed by your client, including in off-hours.
- You are deeply loyal and a steel-trap with confidential information.
- You personally exemplify vChief’s core values: excellence, integrity, and servant leadership
Compensation for this role is on a contract basis based on the level of support requested by the client; Range of $60 - 120/hour. Starting range is $60-75 in 2021, and will be $70-85 starting in 2022.
Contractors are required to have an LLC and carry liability insurance.
Anti-discrimination policy and commitment to diversity
vChief seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position; we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. This job description reflects vChief’s assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management’s right to assign reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.