Chief of Staff
We're hiring a NY based Chief of Staff to support theSkimm's co-founders and co-CEOs.
About our team and what we'll build together
theSkimm's co-founders and co-CEOs started as two friends on a couch and now lead an organization of over 130. Skimm HQ works hard but knows when to take breaks and have fun. The founders' office is fast-paced, dynamic, and touches a little bit of everything happening across theSkimm's HQ.
The Chief of Staff manages, supports, and translates the priorities of theSkimm's founders/co-CEOs, providing input and strategic support where needed to buoy the executive leadership team and founder initiatives.
The person in this role is a key member of the executive team, providing a strategic point-of-view and threading it through day-to-day company operations, while working cross-functionally with the Public Relations, Finance, Product/Data/Design/Engineering, Content, Revenue, and People teams. This person also oversees the founders' office including the founders' senior executive assistant, manages and executes a variety of special projects, and serves as a leader and culture carrier to the organization.
Here's a bit more about what we're looking for
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Being a key partner and advisor to the founders in developing and refining the long-term strategy of the business.
- End-to-end management of any strategic financing or corporate development processes.
- Identifying and vetting partnership and M&A opportunities on behalf of the founders before passing to relevant team members.
- Drafting external and internal founder communications, including board decks, investor decks, investor updates, team presentations, network e-blasts, etc.
- Managing key critical relationships in place of founders when needed.
- Working closely with other key stakeholders and the founders' executive assistant to ensure proper preparation of the founders and optimization of their time.
- Managing the founders' network of contacts and connections and leveraging appropriately for internal company initiatives.
- Working closely with the Public Relations team for founder personal speaking engagements from start to finish, as well as elevating the narrative and perception of the founders and their brand externally.
- Planning and overseeing events in partnership with other teams.
- Facilitating founder approvals and best practices for founder review of broader team objectives and initiatives.
- Overseeing and, in some cases, leading high priority, complex, executive sponsored projects end-to-end.
What will set this person apart:
- BS/BA degree
- 5+ years experience management consulting and/or investment banking
- Strategic thinker that can tailor nuanced responses to different audiences and define priorities
- Ability to weigh in on or make decisions with authority across all parts of a business
- Experience in consumer / media industry or startups is a plus but not required
- Exceptional communications skills, specifically written and verbal
- Self starter; highly motivated and resourceful with proven ability to lead and execute
- Exceptional organizational abilities
- Experience preparing investor presentations
- Ability to execute good judgment, tact, professionalism and diplomacy when interacting with employees, managers or clients
- Adept at handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, results-driven, rapidly changing environment
The role will be a hybrid of working remotely, as well as from our office HQ in Manhattan up to three days a week (Tuesdays to Thursdays).
The expected annual base salary for this role is $165,000-$185,000. We'll consider a variety of factors when determining the offered base salary including an evaluation of a candidate's skills, abilities, experience, location, market demands, and internal parity.
Why our employees love working here
We are mission driven and values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand to empower generations of informed, confident women. Our vision is for every woman to have the info they need to navigate a complex world and the decisions in it. Every role has a purpose and allows us to provide useful information succinctly and contextualized. We tee her up to take action - whichever action is right for her, wherever she is.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work and our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us supports this incredible brand and takes part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each and every day.
We put you and your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Encouraged time off on your birthday and Skimm'versary
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans and commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into an Empower 401(k) plan starting on your first day and employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year Skimm'versary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave (adoption, fostering and surrogacy included)
- Bereavement leave for pregnancy loss
- Phased return to work schedule availability
- Flexibility based on parental schedules
- Access to family building and fertility benefits
- Flexible and broad-scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company "time off" during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative, and supportive culture (we celebrate and have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our executive team
- Employee Resource Groups
- Annual employee award ceremony to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs and activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, off-sites, and wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office and remote, to connect and have fun
Your career and development are a priority:
- Annual learning and development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners and colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance and planning
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, and diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimm'd
We are a digital media company, dedicated to succinctly giving women the information they need to make confident decisions. We make it easier to live smarter.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, and strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Every day we're breaking down the news, trends, policies, and politics that impact women so that they can navigate their daily lives and futures – from managing their paychecks to casting their ballots – with confidence. We provide our dedicated audience of millions with reliable, non-partisan, information, informing and empowering them while fitting into their daily routines.
Since disrupting the media landscape and defining a new category a decade ago, we have become a trusted source for our audience of millions by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way they consume news and make decisions. Today theSkimm ecosystem includes the Daily Skimm, the Daily Skimm: Weekend, Skimm Money and Skimm Your Life newsletters, B2B marketer's newsletter The SKM Report, "9 to 5ish with theSkimm" podcast, theSkimm mobile app. We also house Skimm Studios which creates innovative in-house video and audio content, and our in-house creative agency SKM Lab, which conceptualizes, develops, and produces innovative solutions and content for brands to engage with generations of informed women. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list. Through Skimm Impact, our purpose-driven platform, we are proud to support get-out-the-vote efforts with Skimm Your Ballot, which has spurred more than two million voting-related actions across the last four election cycles. We have mobilized hundreds of companies to join our #ShowUsYourLeave movement, which has created transparency and pushed for progress for Paid Family Leave in the U.S. And we're empowering women to take agency of their lives and control of their futures through our State of Women initiative, grounded in a study conducted by The Harris Poll.