About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
About The Role
The Chief of Staff will dual report to the CEO and Head of Strategy, and is responsible for enhancing the effectiveness and productivity of the Gap Inc. CEO’s office by providing strategic, facilitative and operational support. He/she will partner closely with the CEO daily on strategic initiatives and manage the execution of projects and tasks across all facets of business strategy and operations, including day‐to‐day management, stakeholder engagement, strategic initiatives, board engagement and oversight of deadlines. This position requires a strategic mindset, excellent communication and project management skills with a strong bias towards proactive delivery.
What You'll Do
- Strategic thought and project leadership:
- Provide thought partnership to the CEO on company’s strategic direction and the executive leadership team’s priorities, including strategy development, evaluate new ideas and business opportunities, and conducting analysis and research to support key decisions.
- Lead special strategic projects that the CEO personally oversees (or has a keen interest in), including driving to successful outcomes
- Drive content creation and briefs for key internal and external meetings/initiatives (BRT Meetings, Board materials, key client meetings, executive off-sites, and the like)
- Co-ordinate projects or initiatives directly involving the CEO and direct reports
- Maximize effectiveness of CEO:
- Act as a proxy for the CEO, advising key leaders on best practices for getting alignment on decisions
- Prepare and facilitate senior leadership team meetings; accountable for setting the agenda, providing insights and analysis to inform strategic conversations, and capturing and ensuring action against next steps
- Make calendar, information and decision processes more effective for the CEO, including identifying key strategic priorities for the CEO, mapping calendar/time commitments against priorities, developing engagement plan against strategic priorities and filtering external information coming into the CEO’s office i.e. serving as an air traffic controller for the CEO while working closely with the Head of CEO’s office
- Identify ways to improve CEO office’s operational workflow and drive process improvements
- Stakeholder and Board Management:
- Identify key stakeholders, engagement priorities, and represent the CEO to her contacts and the public. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure external engagements reflect the CEO’s and Gap Inc.’s priorities, and draft correspondence for the CEO informed by Gap Inc.’s strategic focus.
- Drive board engagement activities and correspondence on behalf of the CEO.
- Lead and develop cohort of C-suite Chief of Staffs:
- Facilitate effective co-ordination on best practices, C-suite priorities, stakeholder engagements and board engagement
- Strategic Agility: Sees ahead clearly and can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods. Ability to connect issues and initiatives across leader teams and retail value chain to ensure seamless co-ordination and execution.
- High Intellectual Curiosity: Have an insatiable curiosity to learn and proactive approach to leaning in on new opportunities, even those outside your comfort zone.
- Problem Solving & Decision Quality: Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential
- Results Orientation: Delivers beyond expectations and sets new and stretching goals for him/herself and the team. S/he will have a deep understanding of operational and process improvements that impact quality and execution and deliver continuous improvement
- Process Management: Can identify and articulate the processes necessary to get things down efficiently and effectively
- Planning & Priority Setting: Demonstrate an ability to set objectives and goals and organize work appropriately to meet and exceed goals. Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Organizational Savvy: Able to build constructive and effective relationships and use them to maneuver through complex situations
- Influencing & Negotiation: Can present ideas and directions that lead others to action
- Risk Management: Anticipate risks and identifies contingency plans and processes to prevent disruptions when risks occur
- Systems and Tools Acumen: Proficiency in Microsoft Suite and have aptitude to learn technical applications quickly
- 11+ years’ work experience, preferable in Retail, Mgmt. Consulting or other responsibilities that demonstrate strategy leadership across complex environment.
Who You Are
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
- For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.