Chief of Staff
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We are seeking a Chief of Staff (COS) who can autonomously operate and execute in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. This position is a force multiplier. It is both a strategic and hands-on operating role reporting directly to our founder and CEO. This position requires strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation and strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills. The right person will lead top priority projects across the company and be capable of influencing action without having direct reporting authority.
A day in the life could include:
- Partnering with internal stakeholders in managing the planning process, ensuring coordination with corporate priorities, as well as planning group level priorities and alignment of resources.
- Surfacing needs from roadmap and off-roadmap initiatives across the organization, providing succinct updates to the CEO on the issues, supported with facts and recommendations.
- Coordinating with cross functional teams to provide shared understanding and alignment on initiatives.
- Establishing a rhythm of regular team meetings, business reviews and offsites for the executive and leadership teams; maintaining the management of team agenda and meetings, tracking key strategic actions and driving them to closure.
- Assisting in planning and hosting Board of Directors meetings.
- Succinctly updating the CEO on the issues, supported with facts and recommendations.
- Serving as the key interface to the CEO’s office for external groups (i.e. investors and partners) as well as internal team members; help leverage relationships and their respective interconnectivity.
- Ensuring essential information is synthesized to the executive team and that business decisions are shared with the appropriate teams.
- Working with our internal communications teams to cascade company-wide information, manage employee-all hands and ensure that individual executive communication plans are in place.
- Being an active part of communicating and further establishing the culture of our company.
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- BA/BS degree. Technical or business fields are a plus.
- 4+ years relevant experience working with VP or C-level executives in a business operations, management consulting, finance, corporate communications, corporate strategy, product development or similar environment.
- Demonstrated strong performance in prior roles with increasing levels of responsibility and independence. Proven ability to operate autonomously, to lead and execute
- Experience leading and executing projects in a complex organizational environment and the ability to work on several diverse projects at the same time
- Possess gravitas and emotional maturity to work in a productive and cooperative way with a variety of personalities and levels
- Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal) and interpersonal savvy with the ability to influence
- Ability to maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments
- Ability to excel in an ambiguous environment, orchestrating strategic and complex business activity
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, and trust
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.