🗞️ About Us
Zette is a VC-backed media tech startup that gives readers pay-per-article access to paywalled publications—all while sharing revenue with newsrooms.
- We’re building the news product that you wish you could use today. As the “Spotify for News,” Zette allows readers to unlock paywalled news articles with just one click. We strike partnerships with premium news outlets to make it easy for Zette readers to pay for just the articles they want to read, while supporting journalists in the process.
- We’re growing fast and have the traction to prove it. Zette recently closed major licensing deals with over 80+ premium publishers behind subscription paywalls. Our waitlist has thousands of prospective users and we’re growing 25% month-over-month.
- Our mission is to democratize information by making high-quality online content accessible to everyone. We believe that better access starts with 1) bringing down barriers to news, 2) making content more affordable, 3) giving readers access to a wide variety of vetted journalistic sources, and 3) compensating publishers fairly in the process.
- We’re looking for a Chief of Staff who can help us scale from 0 to 1.
🚀 About the Role
We're a small team of technologists passionate about building a better experience for content consumption. As our Chief of Staff, you’ll be on the ground floor of a fast-growing company.
- You will be the CEO’s right-hand person at Zette, responsible for many daily operations of the business, including legal, admin, and fundraising. We need you to be comfortable parsing through legal contracts, creating processes that can scale, onboarding new employees, and diving into the nitty-gritty of raising venture capital.
- You will work closely with our CEO and other relevant team members to drive the key priorities of the company. Because you’ll be embedded in day-to-day operations, we’re looking someone with good judgement who can operate both on the ground and at 10,000 feet strategically. Attention to detail and responsiveness will be paramount to success.
- You will be building relationships inside and outside of the company. We are looking for someone who can vibe well with the CEO and the rest of the team, but who is also eager to build relationships with investors, marketers, engineers, vendors and publisher partners.
- You will be the point person in figuring out and solving new challenges in scalable ways. You will need to know how to learn fast and find solutions, often to problems you’ve never encountered before. This may include identifying resources or referring talent that would enable the team to grow or build a strong foundation.
- This role is perfect for a future founder or for an operational whiz who wants a front-row seat in the world of venture-backed startups looking to scale all the way up.
😎 About You
You're a quick and resourceful learner who can figure out how to meet new challenges. You’re passionate about startups and you're as excited about the future of consumer media as we are.
- You have 2-5+ years of professional work experience. We’re looking for prior experience in high-growth startups—especially in operations or growth roles where you had to rapidly scale—or in companies in the broader ecosystem like VC, consulting, or big tech.
- Your ability to learn quickly and figure things out will be your most important skill at Zette. You can demonstrate times where you've encountered challenges you had no prior experience with and succeeded, as well as times when you’ve succeeded against all odds.
- You're self-motivated and don't give up easily. We’re moving mountains in the media industry and there are bound to be challenges along the way. Our team is filled with go-getters who are ready to build with grit—we hope this sounds like you too.
- You’re good at building relationships with people. Extroverted or introverted, you easily empathize with others and love building meaningful connections. We’re looking for someone who can click with people inside and outside of Zette, and who can represent our company well internally, within the broader tech ecosystem and at industry events.
- This role is fully remote, but we have a preference for individuals based in New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles where we have more team representation.
- Meaningful early equity stake—0.05% - 0.1% over a standard 4-year vesting schedule.
- Competitive early-stage startup salary—base of $80k - $100k. For candidates with 5+ years of experience, we’re more than happy to have a conversation about increased salary.
- Generous benefits, including healthcare, vision, dental, and 401k.
- The ability to shape early team culture and values.
- Awesome coworkers and events (i.e. company offsites, media conferences, and more).