You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible — and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.
This is a Chief of Staff and Head of Strategy role supporting Ravi Varma, Senior Vice President, Chief Operational Risk Officer and head of Global Operational Risk & Oversight (GORO). The Global Operational Risk & Oversight organization within Global Risk and Compliance (GRC) is responsible for identifying and managing risk across all processes and geographies at American Express.
The candidate will assist in developing, implementing and measuring a broad range of initiatives for the Operational Risk and Oversight Executive Office. This individual will partner with the leadership team in business planning and strategic initiatives and will be asked to own special projects. Additionally, the incumbent is expected to provide broad insight and thought leadership around various business initiatives. The position requires flexibility and ability to effectively function in a dynamic environment, especially white space, including the ability to address ad hoc projects that arise based on developing business needs with urgency while balancing other priorities.
- Partner with senior management and leadership team in business planning and strategic initiatives; own and manage special projects.
- Work closely with the Executive Office of the Chief Risk Officer, proving gap coverage and/or own GRC wide initiatives as needed.
- Assist with administration and management of Enterprise Risk Management Committee - Senior most Management Risk Committee at AXP
- Run internal coordination of key audits, examinations, and ongoing regulatory supervision meetings for Global Operational Risk & Oversight.
- Effectively interact with the GORO and GRC leadership team (including Global Compliance & Ethics, Global Credit & Model Risk Oversight and GRC Capabilities, and Privacy and Regulatory Exam & Lifecycle Management) to identify, prioritize, and resolve issues.
- Design and coordinate content/agendas for key meetings (including Board, Committee, Regulatory, Business Unit Reviews, etc.)
- Prepare presentations, ad hoc analyses, and coordination of all executive office functions.
- Manage budget and staffing activities.
- Manage Colleague Engagement Team activities across all markets promoting positive morale and team building.
- Collaborate on all aspects of annual Performance Management Process (PMP) and Talent Assessments with Colleague Strategic Partners.
- Manage AENB insourcing and outsourcing processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong leadership, executive presence, and strategic thinking abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to influence at all levels and achieve results.
- Extensive experience in project management and leadership capacities.
- Superior organization and planning skills with attention to detail a must.
- Ability to effectively function in a dynamic environment.
- Proven track record of developing working relationships across organizations and at all levels.
- Strong integrity required as well as the discretion necessary to handle confidential information.
- Proactive and able to anticipate the needs of the SVP.
- Self-motivated and ability to work autonomously.
- Experience in risk management
- [Preferred] JD, MBA or CPA
This role is required to be on-site 4 days/week matching the SVP on-site schedule.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
If the role you are applying for is designated as hybrid or onsite, you will be required to demonstrate that you have completed your primary COVID-19 vaccination series (i.e., 2 doses for Moderna/Pfizer and 1 dose for J&J) and, for medically eligible* colleagues, a booster shot, in order to work in or visit any of our offices. This requirement is subject to legally required accommodations.
- Booster eligibility: The CDC has established guidelines for when adults are eligible to receive booster shots depending on when they completed their initial vaccine series (currently five months after the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines, and two months after the J&J Vaccine). If you have completed your primary vaccine series but have not yet reached your booster eligibility date, you will be able to come into the office; however, you will need to complete your booster within 30 days of becoming eligible to continue coming in and participating in company-sponsored in-person events.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.