Code.org® is a nonprofit dedicated to expanding access to computer science in schools and increasing participation by young women and students from other underrepresented groups. Our vision is that every student in every school has the opportunity to learn computer science as part of their core K-12 education. The leading provider of K-12 computer science curriculum in the United States, Code.org also created the annual Hour of Code campaign, which has engaged more than 15% of all students in the world!
As Code.org’s first Chief of Staff, your focus will be supporting the Executive and Leadership Teams to ensure the organization is on track for achieving its annual goals, priorities, and initiatives. You will have a birds-eye view across the organization’s teams and will work with them to surface opportunities and risks. You will help prioritize the Executive and Leadership Teams’ time and be a part of meetings to offer counsel on organizational strategy. This new role will focus on operations (keeping our organization focused and tracking initiatives and on track/follow up on leadership decisions) and strategy (helping connect dots across the org and helping set priorities for the leadership) to inform leadership priorities and decision-making.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop, manage and communicate to key collaborators the planning and cadence of organizational-level projects/events to help ensure follow through on initiatives, as well as adequate preparation and lead time to prevent overloading of teams
- Plan, manage, and implement significant organizational-wide initiatives set by the Executive and Leadership teams
- Work with the VP of People Operations to coordinate and schedule organizational-wide engagement (e.g. team events and offsites, culture discussions, manager training)
- Collaborate on Code.org’s annual planning process, serving as a thought partner and monitoring implementation
- Plan and manage the Executive Team and Leadership Team meetings and offsites
- Serve as a thought partner, advisor, and sounding board for the President and organization leadership to inform organizational strategy and decision-making
- Plan and manage Board of Directors meetings through setting the meeting agenda and leading the creation and coordination of backup materials (logistics handled by Executive Assistant)
- Monitor progress of Code.org’s against annual goals by teams and serve as integrator connecting priorities, work, and teams to surface opportunities and risks to the Leadership and Executive Teams
As our ideal candidate, you have:
- 6+ years of relevant experience, preferably in program management, operations, or leadership
- Demonstrated ability to independently lead, organize (define goals, identify open questions, make recommendations to address these questions), and complete significant projects
- Demonstrated comfort in ambiguity, addressing adversity with pragmatic solutions, and ability to resolve key questions through planning and follow-through of those plans
- Experience in working across teams in a collaborative way to influence, support, and consult on key initiatives
- Comfort with managing numerous key details and a proven track record of following through on plans
- Demonstrated analytical skills and regular use of quantitative and qualitative data
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills along with expertise and a track record of using tools for organizing projects/evaluating data (g-sheets, etc.)
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment preferred
In addition, candidates:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must pass a pre-employment background check
WHAT IS THE INTERVIEW PROCESS LIKE?
Step 1: Informational Interview - learn more about the role and share your experience (~30 minutes)
Step 2: Interviews with several members of the Code.org team (~ 4 hours)
Step 3: Final Interview + Meet & Greet with 2-3 members of the Code.org team (~1 hour)
Step 4: Reference Checks
All interviews are conducted virtually via Google Meet
The priority application date for this role is March 7th and preference will be given to applications submitted by this date. Our team will review all applications and if we believe your qualifications would make a great fit, we'll contact you to schedule an informational interview.
We offer a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes:
• Competitive Salary
• Technology subsidy consistent with our Bring Your Own Device environment
• Flexible, engaging working environment
• Paid time off: 3 weeks vacation annually, sick leave, and 'winter break' office closure the two weeks that include Christmas and New Years.
• Medical, dental and vision premiums paid at 100% for FT positions and their dependents
• Option to participate in 403b retirement savings plan
• Annual professional development stipend
• The opportunity to help students learn better and change the face of computer science
Additionally, in order to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, we require that all Code.org employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We define fully vaccinated as either both doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or the single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine and take medical and sincerely held religious exemptions into consideration.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.