Chief of Staff
About the role
Seeking a smart, proactive, and savvy Chief of Staff to support the executive as she or he interfaces with a network of CEOs, senior executives, non-profit leaders, and pursues business and public service opportunities. The Chief of Staff will support this executive in his roles as a university trustee, Chair of an education non-profit for students from low-income neighborhoods, and Executive Chair of a multi-billion investment fund.
As a Chief of Staff, you will hold broad content knowledge across initiatives and connect the dots across projects and people to improve decision-making and make processes operate better as a whole. The role includes scheduling, research and preparing meeting briefings and recommendations for meetings with other executives and philanthropists; research, planning and implementation of projects; and day to day follow-up on behalf of the executive. Chairman is involved in an interesting and exciting portfolio of projects including: university task forces, scaling a tech-enabled online tutoring non-profit, private equity and other investments and music industry networking (as an informal advisor to well-known artists). As such, the Chief of Staff will research and help prepare for executive meetings and lead beginning to end project management; examples of projects include: identifying and interviewing consultants for K12 public education nonprofit projects, calls with faculty members and university staff to document an endowment grant for a major digital learning initiative, and planning events including travel for small group social and business dinners and destination retreats.
Long but rewarding hours. Opportunity to work independently and learn from experienced executive in private equity and philanthropy, committed to increasing opportunity for all people.
Candidate must be a very strong writer (the executive will often ask to draft correspondence without editing) and academically accomplished. Stellar and efficient research, planning and presentation skills and strong work ethic are highly valued in this role. A strong sense of responsibility and urgency is needed. Tech/app aptitude and social media savvy are a plus.
What you will do
Develop a deep understanding of Executive’s projects and initiatives and in turn help the Executive make better decisions through research, analysis, and scenario planning.
· Drive special projects and strategic initiatives for the Executive, own behind-the-scenes preparation to make meetings, both internal and external, successful, including preparation of relevant documents and briefing materials, tracking, monitoring, and execution of action items that stem from these meetings.
· Point-of-contact, liaison, and resource for executive – acting as advisor and advocate as necessary.
· Ownership over portfolio of initiatives, as necessary, to solve for organization gaps or turbocharging important initiatives.
· Ownership of the entire lifecycle of projects, from the big picture down to the execution and details.
What you bring to the table:
· Graduate from Top University or Cum Laude from another college
· Ability to thrive in a remote working environment including but not limited to being self-motivated with a strong sense of prioritization
· Must love what you do! There is a lot of work to be done, so someone that loves what they do and loves checking things off the list is a must have.
· Excellent writing skills (with high level input, to compose, edit and send correspondence) · Highly productive contributor
· Looking for long term employment
· Ability to provide at least 2 prior employment references
· Good and efficient research, planning and presentation skills · Strong sense of responsibility and urgency
· High EQ and good judgment
· Ability to anticipate needs, work independently, and proactively
· A systems thinker with experience working with senior business decision makers · Excellent time management skills
· Ability to build rapport and trust quickly
· Integrity and a record of being a trusted confidante
· Growth company or corporate experience; banking experience · Superior writing samples
Why work with us
· **Experienced team for networking and learning. **Work closely with seasoned executive and his staff in his role as University Trustee, Chairman of Private Equity Fund and Chair of Non-Profit. Interactions with accomplished and senior business executives, university leadership and philanthropists.
· **High-impact work. **Do meaningful work that makes a difference. Step Up Tutoring is democratizing access to online tutoring and mentorship for students from grades 3-6 in LA Unified and other public-school districts in low-income neighborhoods. As Chief of Staff, you’ll be working closely with the executive to scale this organization. Also work on timely and important university issues relating to affordability and opportunity.
· **Benefits. **Health care package (if needed, factored in comp), PTO, and holidays.
· **Perks. **Access to vacation homes (Cabo and Hawaii) and special events. Technology stipend. · Competitive salary and bonus. Flexible and partial remote work.
Apply by sending a resume and short description of why you're interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org