Work Location: US Headquarters
Division / Department: General Administration, Office of CEO
About The Role
Cancer doesn’t care how it disrupts the course of lives. We do. Since our founding, we have pursued one goal: develop targeted cancer therapies to improve outcomes for cancer patients. This singular focus has positioned us as a leader in the expanding field of antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) for the treatment of cancer. At ImmunoGen, each of us is driven by a shared conviction that by advancing precise, targeted cancer therapies, we have the power to offer more good days to patients and their families ― now. It is why we come to work each and every day, and it is what will continue to motivate and energize us in the years to come.
ImmunoGen is currently looking for an individual to serve as Chief of Staff. The Chief of Staff will report directly to the CEO of ImmunoGen and will lead strategic and tactical initiatives on behalf of the CEO, manage key meetings, and be accountable for analyzing and improving corporate processes to drive increased organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
This is both an advisory and operational role that requires strategic aptitude and analytical skills along with focus, flexibility, and strong interpersonal skills. It is considered a key development role within the organization and will provide a foundational experience that positions this individual for future growth and leadership opportunity within the company. Previous incumbents have been promoted into the following roles with the organization: Vice President, Product Team Leader, for mirvetuximab soravtansine, ImmunoGen’s lead asset; and Head of Corporate Planning and Program Management.
- Partner with the CEO to identify key gaps in operating performance, organizational structure, and business processes. Develop and lead the execution of initiatives to address these impediments to corporate performance and track progress against set goals.
- Provide support to CEO in the planning, preparation, and successful execution of Board, portfolio management, Executive and Leadership Team, and other key governance meetings.
- Partner with Chief Business Officer and General Counsel on CEO point of contact for M&A activity and partnership deals.
- Function as the point person for the CEO in managing the strategic planning cycle, preparing for executive presentations and town halls, as well as measuring progress against strategic initiatives.
- Work with the Executive Team and others to translate company strategy into actions and deliverables that can be executed upon, tracked, and managed.
- Interacts with internal staff members to conduct and oversee preparation of briefing materials for the CEO.
- Demonstrate collaborative leadership and influence necessary to ensure alignment among key stakeholders and smooth execution of project deliverables.
- Identify and prioritize key issues early and expedite resolution by integrating information and analyzing insights to provide an informed perspective and propose solutions.
- Organize and drive the rhythm of decision making and outputs to feed into key meetings and initiatives.
Life at ImmunoGen
At ImmunoGen, we are looking for forward-thinking talent with diverse experiences and a track record of success, leadership skills, a demonstrated ability to take initiative, and a passion for improving the lives of those living with cancer. To succeed here is to care ― care about what we do, why we do it, and each other. We are working hard to bring hope to our patients and their families, which inspires our teams to aim high and honor our commitment to continuous improvement.
At ImmunoGen, collaboration is not a construct. It is at the core of everything we do and shows up in how we work every day. Here, your ideas and experience matter. We value driven individuals who thrive in a fast-paced environment; who can think about our future and see the promise before us; who anticipate risks and opportunities; who are willing to learn and adapt to change; who are inclusive and eager.
Together, we rise to the challenge before us, advancing our programs on the strength of our deep scientific and commercial expertise and energized by the opportunity to change long-standing treatment paradigms. We pride ourselves on the work that we do, and know that it is a privilege to work in the oncology space and to dedicate our days to helping patients.
Our Unique Opportunity
It’s an exciting time for our organization. The US FDA recently granted accelerated approval for ELAHERE™ (mirvetuximab soravtansine-gynx) for the treatment of folate receptor alpha (FRα)-positive, platinum-resistant ovarian cancer, marking our transition into a fully-integrated oncology company. This is just the beginning, as we embark on an exciting new chapter as a leader in the development and commercialization of innovative oncology products .
Joining ImmunoGen now will give you the unique opportunity to create a lasting impact ― to make your mark on the work that we are doing by leveraging your experience to shape our first commercial launch and the go-forward organization.
The Chief of Staff will be a strong strategic thinker with exceptional analytical and conceptual thinking capabilities. This person will possess sound business judgment, strong influencing and interpersonal skills, and be motivated to deliver successful business outcomes in all situations.
In keeping with Immunogen’s company culture, the Chief of Staff will be a collaborative and bold executive, who brings the energy and determination to accelerate shared progress toward critical business outcomes.
Given the confidential nature of the content and issues handled, this person will operate with both professionalism and discretion, and work seamlessly to resolve cross-functional issues at all levels of the organization.
They will possess a track record of navigating dynamic, and often ambiguous situations, with a solution orientation and possess the fortitude to drive business outcomes in a lean and fast-paced environment.
This person will ideally possess an advanced Scientific and/or Business Degree, with a minimum of 5 years of experience operating in the biotech or pharma industry or top tier management consultancy firm.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- The ability to help create and articulate a vision for the organization at an enterprise level
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall strategy
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry
- The ability to effectively balance the need for change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable
Executing for Results
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations
- An executive who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization
- The ability to persevere in the face of challenges, and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers
- A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization's performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement
- The potential to grow into an enterprise wide leader, who can attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance
Relationships and Influence
- Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively
- An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive
- Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team
- Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole
- Firmly believes that both sustainability and profit are in the organization’s best long-term interest
- Integrates economic, societal, and environmental factors into a purpose-driven strategy, turning sustainability into a competitive advantage
- Understands and incorporates viewpoints from all key stakeholders to drive decision making and share the benefits
- Delivers breakthrough innovations and business models that create value for all stakeholders, continually challenging traditional approaches
- Sets audacious business and sustainability goals, driving concerted action and investments, and stays the course in the face of setbacks or push-back from short-term oriented stakeholders
COVID vaccine is strongly encouraged. Documentation of vaccine status may be required. Unvaccinated employees will be required to wear a mask.
We believe in the potential of our people and foster a supportive environment that develops our folks, rewards performance, and incentivizes long-term success. From excellent benefits and competitive compensation to ownership in the company, we want to inspire our employees.
Our Benefits Include, But Are Not Limited To
- Competitive salary and bonus plans
- Top-tier health, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Generous paid holidays, time off, and parental leave
- Comprehensive package of benefits plans
- Company matching 401K and retirement savings plans
- New hire and annual stock option awards for all employees
- Tuition reimbursement
- 3:2 office workday for flexible working arrangements
- Stipends for learning opportunities
ImmunoGen is developing the next generation of antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) to improve outcomes for cancer patients. By generating targeted therapies with enhanced anti-tumor activity and favorable tolerability profiles, we aim to disrupt the progression of cancer and offer our patients more good days. We call this our commitment to TARGET A BETTER NOW™. Learn more about who we are, what we do, and how we do it at www.immunogen.com.
At ImmunoGen, targeting a better life for people with cancer is what we do, and we believe that a diverse and inclusive team is essential to achieving this. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. There is work to be done and with the help of our entire team — our employees, customers, partners, and community — we can deliver more good days to those who need them most.
ImmunoGen is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
ImmunoGen, Inc. does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on ImmunoGen, Inc.’s approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to ImmunoGen, Inc. by search/recruiting agencies not already on ImmunoGen, Inc.’s approved agency list shall become the property of ImmunoGen, Inc. and if the candidate is subsequently hired by ImmunoGen, Inc., ImmunoGen, Inc. shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.