Chief of Staff
Xavier University is seeking a Chief of Staff that will be a key member of the President’s Senior Leadership Council (SLC), providing leadership and operational oversight to the Office of the President in fulfilling the College’s mission and goals. The incumbent will be an individual with a desire to excel in their craft, possessing a commitment to integrity, an unrelenting attention to detail and an ability to effectively support the President on a broad range of strategic issues.
The Chief of Staff is responsible for a wide range of matters and activities, including but not limited to:
- Partnering with the President and SLC, and collaborating with individuals across campus to actively drive the strategic plan forward. Building an atmosphere of coordination and clear understanding of the college’s mission, vision, and goals;
- Representing the President with various constituencies, including the Board of Trustees, senior leadership, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and various external entities;
- Counseling and advising the President on day-to-day operations, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness and optimizing resources, including the oversight of the budget for the President’s Office;
- Collaborating with the Marketing & Communications department in the creation of executive-level communications including talks, speeches, reports, and presentations;
- Serving as the President's Office liaison; ensuring the accurate, proper, and timely flow of information to and from the Office of the President.
- Providing leadership and operational oversight for the Office of the President, conveying an atmosphere of excellence and distinction, in support of the College’s mission, vision, and goals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Counsels the President, provides a sounding board, advice on sensitive matters, and ensures the President has all the information necessary to make informed decisions. Provides excellent judgment, diplomacy, and understanding of college issues to support the President;
- Serves as liaison between the President and the College to ensure a coordinated approach to initiatives across campus;
- Serves as liaison to the Board of Trustees on matters not directly handled by the President; handles program support activities and matters of institutional significance for the Board on behalf of, and in concert with, the President;
- Builds and nurtures relationships to serve as a resource for the President and point of contact as designated for key constituents to resolve complex issues and help move forward strategic priorities;
- Collaborates with the Marketing & Communications department in the creation of executive-level communications including talks, speeches, reports, and presentations that appropriately reflect the President’s voice, tone, and goals;
- Assists the President with correspondence dealing with issues and subject matter in ways that sometimes requires considerable sensitivity, discretion, judgment or negotiation;
- Represents the President and the college in various civic, community and professional organizations at the local, state, and national level, as needed;
- Works to advance a wide range of initiatives, programs, projects, events for the President in support of institutional priorities;
- Ensures the accurate, proper, and timely flow of information to and from the Office of the President in support of recurring and special projects;
- Oversees and supervises all activities related to the operation of the Office of the President, including direct oversight of the staff in that office;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE/TRAINING THAT IS REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- Bachelor's Degree and at least eight years of experience at the executive leadership level, required;
- Master’s Degree plus five years of experience at the executive leadership level strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated experience in report writing and data analysis skills required;
- Strong managerial and team building skills, and demonstrated ability to motivate and empower direct and indirect reports to achieve area priorities_ required_;
- Impeccable project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to effectively collaborate with faculty and staff leaders from across the college required;
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills with particular experience in drafting speeches and remarks required;
- Demonstrated experience exercising judgment, project planning and goal accomplishment; wide degree of professional maturity and discretion expected required;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, student body, alumni and community, and to support a culture of belonging through modeling a commitment to inclusive excellence required;
- Proven expertise in planning and executing operational plans, managing projects and/or programs, budgeting and cost control required;
- Understanding of the mission, role and function of higher education in general, and of Xavier University in particular preferred;
- Proven ability to work independent of direct supervision and take initiative without specific instructions required;
- Ability to develop effective work systems and procedures required;
- Ability to create a welcoming environment for the President’s Office required;
- Ability to deal with constantly changing demands, frequent interruptions, and scheduling changes while remaining organized and seeing projects through to completion required;
- Ability to influence others of the benefits/importance of an idea or plan of action and to gain their support or commitment required;
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to reach mutual points of agreement and benefit among peers and colleagues required;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required;
- A strong sense of humor is greatly appreciated!
- Normal office environment.
- While this is a standard weekday working model, there may be some evening and weekend work required, periodically.
Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio is part of the 500-year-old Jesuit Catholic tradition of academic excellence in the liberal art and is strongly committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. These values are central to our mission. We strive for a climate of respect and inclusiveness that welcomes and supports members from diverse backgrounds and life experiences, is committed unreservedly to open and free inquiry, and deliberately seeks out multiple perspectives.
Xavier University is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
To ensure consideration, interested/qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter with a statement on how they might support/contribute to Xavier’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. Please also include the names and contact information of three professional references. Applications will be reviewed immediately and accepted until the position closes at the University’s discretion.
Xavier University offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and employment class.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Tax advantaged accounts including health savings account, flexible spending accounts, and dependent care account.
- Financial security via life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
- Tuition remission for employees and their eligible dependents.