About the job
Zap Energy is a fusion energy start-up developing a breakthrough in fusion energy which has the potential to deliver almost limitless carbon-free energy. Traditional approaches have failed to reach energy breakeven. Zap Energy has rethought the fusion status quo by removing magnets, developing the smallest, most economical and most scalable fusion reactor. Zap Energy spun-out of UW in 2017, backed by a diverse climate/energy-focused investor base. The President and co-founder is looking for a Chief of Staff to support him in building the business. The ideal candidate will be motivated by the prospect of changing the way the world generates and uses energy. They will be super smart and a nuanced communicator, able to interact confidently and effectively with all stakeholders, including nuclear physicists, government, investors, accountants and legal counsel. They will have a firm understanding of finance, a background in business or as an entrepreneur, ideally some experience in a start-up environment, they will have zero ego, be decisive and confident but comfortable taking direction, and eager to work in a chaotic, but stimulating environment.
- Execute projects for the President, from inception to completion
- Coordinate, prepare, and follow-up on action items for internal and external meetings with the leadership, team and board
- Assist with communications between and from the leadership to the wider team
- Communicate with investors while helping to prepare board decks, investment decks, executive presentations and other high-value collateral
Specialized Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 8+ years of experience including as Chief of Staff or similar role at a high-growth start-up
- Strong communicator – both written and verbal & able to influence people; previous experience with board & executive communications a plus
- Organized with excellent project management skills - disciplined, strong note taker, comfortable following up on action items / holding people accountable, able to think ahead and catch problems before they arise – strong attention to detail and ability to multitask and prioritize in the face of many competing priorities
- Strategic thinker, but doesn’t hesitate to roll up your sleeves, dive in, and do whatever it takes to deliver results
- Problem solver – you come with solutions, not problems, and are always looking for a new challenge
- Passion for innovation, thrives in ambiguity, strong bias towards action.
- Self-starter – demonstrated ability to get things done from ideation to implementation with little input needed
- Trustworthy – used to handling confidential information with a high degree of integrity
- Quick learner – able to dive into any of the area business and get up to speed rapidly; strong intellectual curiosity
- Ability to thrive in an action-oriented, fast paced, dynamic work environment
- MBA preferred but not required
Benefits of joining Zap Energy:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Premium medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
Zap Energy Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations.