ABOUT EQUAL JUSTICE WORKS
Equal Justice Works is the nation’s largest facilitator of opportunities in public interest law. We achieve this through creating Fellowship programs for lawyers and community organizers, hosting the largest national public interest law career fair, advocating for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, and supporting law students pursuing public interest law careers. We bring together an extensive community of law schools, law students, lawyers, community organizers, legal services organizations, and supporters to promote a lifelong commitment to public service and equal justice. Following their Fellowships, more than 85% of our Fellows remain in public service positions, continuing to pursue equal justice for under-resourced communities across the country.
Equal Justice Works seeks a Chief of Staff to work closely with the Chief Executive Officer to realize EJW’s mission and join us in pursuing our vision to build a community of leaders who will fulfil our nation's promise of equal justice for all.
This has been a landmark year for Equal Justice Works. Under the leadership of a
The Chief of Staff will balance strategic and innovative thinking with the realities of tactical execution and organizational effectiveness; uphold a high standard of discretion and integrity handling confidential matters; and be comfortable collaborating with and engaging senior leaders, staff members, and external constituents while managing in a fast-paced environment. The position manages one direct report – the Senior Manager, Strategy Execution.
Strategic Leadership (45%)
- As confidential thought partner, act as sounding board to CEO and leadership team to drive forward organizational decisions, promote community, and encourage organization-wide team engagement.
- Advance the mission, vision, and values of Equal Justice Works.
- Advise CEO on organization’s strategic direction and leadership team’s priorities, including strategy development; evaluate new ideas and business opportunities; and conduct analysis and research to support key decisions.
- Proactively identify potential strategic opportunities and challenges; recommend courses of action or solutions.
- Work collaboratively to resolve and/or mitigate issues/concerns; respond to questions; and manage requests on CEO's behalf.
- Work with CEO to manage relationships with board of directors.
Management and Operational Support (25%)
- Lead cross-functional project teams and work collaboratively toward resolution of complex issues that span organizational boundaries. Track progress and action items or delegate them to others to do.
- Partner with senior leaders and stakeholder groups, providing counsel to advance key initiatives.
- Support CEO in addressing issues that may arise around the intersection of policies, processes, and practices.
- Develop and iterate management practices to enable transparency, efficiency, and effectiveness of organization.
- Partner with Vice President of Marketing and Communications to write speeches and strategic documents, as well as craft internal communications on behalf of CEO.
- Plan and manage agenda setting and coordination of all board meetings, standing leadership and committee meetings, and other EJW-wide events.
- Prepare talking points and presentations for the CEO, and follow-up communication as needed. Coordinate requisite support resources and capture action items for response and/or closure.
- Serve as liaison to a broad variety of internal and external constituencies.
- Deliver presentations to external constituents as needed and represent the organization at sector and sponsor-related events and conferences.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of related progressively complex professional experience in strategy execution, project management or Board management preferred
- Knowledge of public interest law sector a plus, including understanding of social justice issues and familiarity with nonprofit organizations; commitment to developing public service leaders and mentoring experience a plus
- Commitment to modeling exceptional character and upholding the mission, vision, values, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) principles of Equal Justice Works
- Demonstrated capacity for emotional resilience and constancy coupled with a history of working cooperatively and respectfully with internal and external stakeholders in dynamic environments
- Growth mindset with a keen sense of accountability for achieving results
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with proven ability to drive issues through to resolution ensuring that all key stakeholders are kept informed of outcomes
- Excellent relationship building, stakeholder management and consensus building skills
- Adept at juggling multiple projects, problem solving, operating independently, as well as thriving in a team environment
- Excellent time management, project management, and prioritization skills with demonstrated effectiveness in leading or managing multiple projects or initiatives simultaneously
- Demonstrated critical thinking and strong professional judgment, ability to bring a steady hand and sense of calm
- Proven ability to maintain highest level of integrity in managing confidential information and sensitive issues
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
As a condition of this position, EJW is requiring all employees that work in the EJW office to receive an FDA-authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccination and present proof of vaccination. Individuals with a disability or a religious reason preventing them from taking the vaccine may request an accommodation.
The salary range is $190-$200,000 based on experience. Benefits include: 14 days of annual vacation leave; additional paid holiday leave the week between Christmas and the New Year; 16 weeks of paid parental leave for those with EJW for six months or more; excellent medical insurance with Equal Justice Works paying 100% for employee premiums and 75% for dependent premiums, as well as dental and vision insurance with Equal Justice Works paying 100% for employee and dependent premiums; and a $1000 professional development stipend per year.
Susannah Sallin is assisting with this search. Visit
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Equal Justice Works is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspective, and skills and encourage people of diverse ages, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, disabilities, religions, races, ethnicities, socioeconomic statuses, work, and life experiences to apply.