Chief of Staff
Where Uncommon talent and unprecedented technology meet.
Uncommon is a purpose-driven company, creating breakthrough technologies that will help solve some of the world’s biggest health, sustainability and animal welfare challenges.
Our focus is on bringing superior cultivated pork products to market. At a time of growing inflation and shrinking natural resources, we believe that creative problem-solving is the most effective and sustainable way to address the global growth in protein consumption.
Core to our approach is our uniquely designed product delivery platform and our patented pioneering RNA-powered strategies to cultivate meat without genetic modification. It’s this approach and numerous other technological breakthroughs which position us to uniquely deliver nutritional and abundant protein products the market will crave.
Our brilliant team are experts in their respective fields, drawn from around the world. We’re passionate, curious, innovative and at the forefront of the ground-breaking work being done in this exciting and rapidly growing sector. Uncommon is a well-funded biotech company, backed by some of the world’s most admired investors. We’ve experienced spectacular growth over the last few years, reaching exciting milestones and we continue to grow every quarter.
Our main facility is based in Cambridge, UK, with future facilities and offices likely in other global markets.
As the Chief of Staff at Uncommon, your role is pivotal in ensuring the company operates at a lightning-fast pace. You will act as a central hub for communication, breaking down silos between departments to foster a culture of open, efficient dialogue and collaboration. In this dynamic position, you will not only oversee the execution of key projects but also take on ad hoc initiatives that require immediate attention and swift resolution.
Your responsibilities will extend to supporting our fundraising efforts, providing strategic insights and operational support to enhance our engagements with investors. This role will encompass many different aspects so you must be comfortable adapting quickly and facing ambiguity. By ensuring smooth internal operations and facilitating clear, cross-functional communication, you will play a critical role in maintaining our agility and responsiveness, enabling Uncommon to adapt quickly to new challenges and opportunities in our fast-evolving industry.
As Chief of Staff, your key role is to properly equip and empower Uncommon’s team.
What you’ll be doing:
- Undertaking ad-hoc projects for the CEO and leadership team, ensuring they are completed swiftly and successfully.
- Serving as the go-to person for problem solving, providing solutions and support to overcome hurdles at high speed.
- Representing the CEO (or other members of the team) where appropriate.
- Helping the CEO maximise efficiency and facilitate rapid decision-making.
- Collaborating with various departments to drive impact, remove silos and help unblock complex challenges.
- Gather and organise information across the company and report it to the CEO, along with recommendations.
- Managing urgent and critical issues, ensuring swift resolution and minimal disruption to operations.
- Help prepare investment materials during fundraising.
- Ensuring that the CEO is well prepared for meetings and conferences.
- Carries out other duties as necessary, which may include simple tasks such as filing and making phone calls.
What we think you need:
- Your profound curiosity leads the way. You're known for your swift yet meticulous approach, consistently unveiling innovative solutions to even the most challenging problems.
- You possess the ability to rapidly grasp and explain complex scientific concepts.
- Experience working in a very fast paced environment.
- You’re comfortable with ambiguity and having high variability in your work.
- Great at stakeholder management and able to thoughtfully and constructively challenge the people you work with. You have a proven track record working both with teams and external collaborators.
- You have a strong track record of implementing effective operational solutions across different types of challenges.
- Highly analytical and think quantitatively - you should be comfortable with spreadsheets and other analytics tools.
- You’re comfortable with CRM and project management systems.
- Proven experience in operational leadership or project management, ideally within the biotech or related sectors.
- You’re a clear communicator and know how to adapt to different audiences (personality types, business functions, and geographies).
- Comfortable switching between technical and business aspects working on both commercial strategy to delivery of technical milestones.
We’d love it if you also have:
- Previous experience as a chief of staff or similar role.
- Background in the biotech, cultivated meat or sustainable food solutions industry.
- An established network in the biotech or startup ecosystems.
Alongside a competitive base salary, all our people get these benefits:
- Share options
- 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Enhanced parental leave pay
- Cycle-to-work scheme and wellbeing allowance
- Flexible hours
- "Make your work life easier" annual stipend
- Regular team dinners and social activities
- Snacks, fruits, tea, coffee and more!