Location: New York
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
AlphaSense is a market intelligence platform used by the world's leading companies and financial institutions. Since 2011, our AI-based technology has helped professionals make smarter business decisions by delivering insights from an extensive universe of public and private content—including company filings, event transcripts, news, trade journals, and equity research. Our platform is trusted by over 1,800 enterprise customers, including a majority of the S&P 500. Headquartered in New York City, AlphaSense employs over 500 people across offices in the U.S., U.K., Finland, and India. For more information, please visit www.alpha-sense.com.
About The Role
Fuelled by a recent $180M Series C round led by Viking Global and Goldman Sachs, AlphaSense is now on an accelerated path to becoming IPO ready in 2022. We’re supercharging our extraordinary growth through vertical customer segments; multi-product offerings; global expansion; and a thoughtful acquisition strategy. We’re implementing the systems, processes, policies, and other infrastructure capabilities that enable scale, build efficiencies, and position us to operate as a public company. And we’re doing all this while sustaining the agility and focus of a startup.
The Chief of Staff role plays an essential part in helping our CEO, the executive team, and the broader organization define and deliver our plan and strategic priorities. The role is the connective tissue that helps set direction by integrating the processes for strategy, planning, budgeting, goal setting, scorecards and metrics, and then choreographs the disciplined weekly, monthly, and quarterly operating rhythm that drives delivery at scale. In doing so, the Chief of Staff will seldom own the entirety of any process, but rather will collaborate closely with other leaders to ensure that all processes are efficiently designed, integrated, and well-implemented to the best advantage of the company as a whole. The Chief of Staff is constantly operating at the heart of the business, critically contributing to its success.
Who You Are
- You are a seasoned professional. Through prior experience as a Chief of Staff or a role involving similar accountabilities for business planning and operations, you have been part of a leadership team that has delivered a number of successful company-wide programs or initiatives, ideally in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment.
- You have an exceptional work ethic. While it is exciting and energizing, partnering with the Founder-CEO of a hyper-growth company scaling to and through an IPO requires sustained pace and intensity.
- You have deep business acumen. You are an intelligent, analytical and independent first-principles thinker who can respectfully disagree with and challenge the CEO and other senior leaders. You are also able to sort the relevant information from the irrelevant and then channel it to the CEO, with the result that people see you as a valued conduit to the CEO, rather than a blocker.
- You have executive presence and credibility. You are trusted by members of the Executive Team, other senior leaders, and employees in the broader organization so that you are seen as an asset who makes things run more smoothly. Because of your own credibility and authority, rarely if ever do you need to decree “Because the CEO says so!”
- You are detail-oriented and passionate about process. But you also see process as both science and art, and you can discern when to be rigorous and when to relax.
- You thrive in ambiguity. You are excellent at translating high level objectives and priorities into the daily execution agenda. You can take the initiative and make independent decisions, and then be able to adapt or change those decisions as the context evolves.
- You are highly collaborative. With just the right balance between being warm and demanding, you deploy a quiet confidence and authority that drives delivery through strong relationships, influence, and expert communication skills, without direct control of the resources or decisions that need to be managed.
- You are empathetic and other-oriented, with exceptional emotional and cultural intelligence. Through self-awareness, modesty, and a desire to help others succeed, you are the consummate diplomat – explaining, negotiating where needed, and sensing the mood and developments among relevant parties to drive the right outcomes without needlessly offending or stepping on toes.
What You’ll Do
- Coordinate with the CEO and executive team to develop and execute a process – including strategy, planning, budgeting, goal setting (through OKRs), targets, dashboards, etc. – to define, articulate, and communicate AlphaSense’s strategic priorities for the coming year.
- Through the OKR process, coordinate with the broader AlphaSense leadership and global team to share the company’s strategic plan and ensure each business unit’s OKRs are aligned and support the overall company goals.
- Support the CEO and Executive Team in establishing an operating rhythm and governance process to review progress on strategic priorities against agreed targets, timelines, and milestones, and then to address issues.
- Identify and help sequence a calendar of key company events – such as Board meetings, Executive team meetings, offsites, company-wide All Hands meetings and events, and key industry or client-facing events.
- Partner closely with the CEO to ensure he can dedicate his focus and time to the company’s top strategic priorities.
- Establish processes and routines that ensure that the CEO’s decisions get implemented and that execution happens as planned, including putting in place practices to record, calendar, and track agreed actions arising from relevant CEO meetings, such as weekly executive team (ELT) meetings to confirm follow-through and delivery.
- Serve as a communication channel to connect with others in the organization and share decisions, information, or direction on the CEO’s behalf reflecting his intent.
Executive Team Support
- Support the CEO in running effective ELT meetings, including setting and communicating agendas and driving decision-making processes that focus the team’s time on the most important priorities.
- Implement effective processes to ensure Executive Team decisions and actions are implemented and tracked.
- Develop plans to communicate Executive Team decisions as appropriate more broadly within the company.
- Plan effective ELT offsite meetings.
- Coordinate with the Chief People Officer to support Executive Team development and effectiveness.
- Through implementing the company’s operating rhythm, identify and communicate to the CEO and the Executive Team parts of the organizational matrix where there may be confusion, bottlenecks, duplication, or conflict.
- Review processes regularly to ensure that the CEO and Executive Team are learning from how they are operating to deliver constant improvement.
AlphaSense is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals. All employees share in the responsibility for fulfilling AlphaSense’s commitment to equal employment opportunity. AlphaSense does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any other non-merit factor. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at AlphaSense, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination.
In addition, it is the policy of AlphaSense to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified employees who have protected disabilities to the extent required by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances where a particular employee works.