The Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a Chief of Staff who will be a member of PAL’s Executive Leadership Team and function as an advisor to the Executive Director on all strategic projects. They will champion a culture of collaboration throughout the organization, working with both administrative and program staff to streamline operations, processes, and staffing, who will oversee project management, communicate objectives across departments, and problem-solve emergent issues. The Chief of Staff assists the Executive Director with planning senior leadership and Board of Directors committee meetings.
This position will follow a hybrid work schedule (in-office and remote).
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead emerging strategic initiatives from vision to execution, including project management and implementation
- Provide oversight, guidance, and support to administrative departments during leadership transitions
- Triage emergent issues to the appropriate departments and staff to ensure the efficient and effective operation of administrative offices
- Identify critical issues and potential roadblocks to achieving strategic goals and partner with the senior and program leaders to address them
- Improve processes and coordinate organizational procedures to optimize efficiency and productivity
- Build relationships with employees to increase the efficiency and effective responsiveness of existing operations, and help define new operational strategies
- Determine technical assistance and capacity building needs and plan activities accordingly
- Handle internal and external inquiries, develop action plans, and assist with the preparation and dissemination of responses
- Monitor progress on organizational and program-specific goals via surveys, focus groups, assessments, and attendance
- Work with Executive Director to plan Board of Directors meetings and task forces, set senior staff and program leadership team agendas with input from colleagues, and ensure appropriate action steps following meetings
- Ensure efficient and effective use of the Executive Director’s time through calendar and task review and coordination with Executive Assistant
Skills & Knowledge/General Comments
- Bachelor’s Degree required - Master’s Degree preferred
- 10 to 15 years professional experience in a business, or non-profit work experience.
- Strong Organizational, Analytical, Problem-solving skills
- Strong collaboration skills, self-starter with a desire to take on new challenges
- Extremely versatile, dedicated to efficient productivity
- Planning/Leading Strategic Initiatives Experience Required
- Data Analysis Experience Required
- Budget Management Experience Required
- Project Coordination and Prove Success Role
- Nimble business mind with a focus on developing creative solutions
- Strong project reporting skills, with a focus on interdepartmental communication
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
Excellent Benefits Package
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Life Insurance
- PAL contributes 10% of Employee's Annual salary towards a Retirement Plan after a full year is completed
- Tuition Reimbursement
The Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.