Free Agency is on a mission to empower people to reach the highest levels of their career potential. We work with talent to break the information and process asymmetries holding them back from doing more, making more, and being more. We’ve raised over $15M from world-class investors like Maveron, Resolute Ventures, Bloomberg Beta, Kevin Durant and Rich Kleiman’s Thirty Five Ventures, Palm Tree Crew, and more.
Free Agency brings Hollywood-style career management to knowledge workers, starting with the tech industry. We provide concierge services and digital products to help people find incredible jobs, make more money, and become high-performing leaders. Unlike solutions in recruiting, we’re entirely paid by the talent we work with, which enables us to provide them with dedicated Talent Agents that manage “the business end” of their career. Talent success becomes our success.
To date, we’ve helped hundreds of professionals negotiate over $200 million in offers, and partner with talent building the cutting-edge future in the startup and tech industry.
About the job:
The Chief of Staff job looks very different at different companies. Here at Free Agency, you will be a strategic and operational extension of the co-founder and CEO, with the goal of providing tremendous leverage and throughput into every part of the business. We have a Head of Executive Operations, and so your job will explicitly not include activities related to corporate operations or coordination.
You’ll focus less on explicitly prioritizing for the CEO, but instead contribute through thought partnership, follow up and follow through, external representation, strategic research, initiative development, and mission-critical project management. This might include work related to our core services, partnerships, marketing, customer acquisition, business operations, hiring, investor relationships, and systems development.
For those fascinated by the tech and startup world, this role is for you. You’ll get exposure to the founders, investors, operators, and talent building the future, and your day-to-day work will include collaborating with all of these parties to scale a category-defining startup. At the end of your time at Free Agency, you will be an incredibly capable operator, investor, or founder.
Initial projects might include:
- Developing a Rolodex of founders, investors, and first-10 employees within the tech industry, enabling Free Agency to acquire top clients and send them to the most cutting edge companies.
- Creating a process by which Free Agency can provide value to the people and partners it meets with on a daily basis, whether in service of a deal or in service of our reputation.
- Landscaping the talent acquisition industry, identifying and qualifying agencies that might be ideal targets for small-dollar M&A or partnerships.
- Join or represent the CEO in a variety of meetings, including internal strategy, external partnerships, and with other key contacts (candidates, customers, investors).
- Manage and grow a large number of company contacts, driving consistency and volume in cold outreach, follow up, and follow through across email, presentations, and calls.
- Provide feedback, both strategic and tactical, to the executive team and internal team members, being a keeper of the brand, mission, and extremely high standard of quality.
- Research, synthesize, and deploy new initiatives of varying scale, from one-day operational changes to months-long market expansion roadmaps.
- Implement new processes, systems, and programs to further provide leverage to yourself and the CEO through visibility, consistency, and throughput.
- Become extraordinarily knowledgeable about tech, startups, the roles within, the talent building, and the investors behind the scenes, becoming a go-to source of information.
- Document impact, including detailed data management, analytics, and reporting, as well as related attribution to team members and partners.
- Develop new relationships through networking, including active brand presence within the tech and startup industry at events, conferences, dinners, and more.
- Be an excellent communicator, helping sell the vision of Free Agency and making brand advocates out of any individual we interact with.
- Be extremely action-oriented, capable of doing in one day what others would think is doable in a minimum of two weeks, even while maintaining a standard of work quality.
- Have a thirst for knowledge about the tech and startup space, with a natural inclination toward keeping up with the latest trends and events.
You may want to know:
- Free Agency thrives in the office environment. We believe that these early startup years are best spent in close proximity to maximize our odds of innovating and changing the world. We have a spacious location in Flatiron and host events for our community & tech partners — we even have a podcast studio.
- Team safety is a priority. We perform COVID testing multiple times weekly and require vaccinations for employees and guests. Our office is also equipped with industrial grade HEPA filters.
- Free Agency offers competitive pay and significant employee ownership via equity. We also offer 100% coverage across medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Free Agency’s Refresher program recognizes that our fast-paced work environment is enabled by proper time off. Accordingly, we have company-wide recharge weeks and offer generous PTO.
- Free Agency’s Boost program is how we invest in all careers, not just those of our clients. Employees receive a $2,000 professional development budget to spend on outside books, workshops, programs, coaches, courses, etc. to develop their skills and grow as leaders.
- Core to our mission is expanding diversity & inclusion within tech. Accordingly, we encourage candidates from underrepresented + nontraditional backgrounds to apply.
Why Free Agency matters
Job search and career progression are broken. Candidates haphazardly apply to jobs, meet only a few companies, settle during offer negotiation, and generally don’t optimize the process of moving along in their careers. As a result, Free Agency believes that everyone is undercompensated.
That doesn’t just have to do with the money we make, but also the teams we’re a part of, the type of work we get to do, and the alignment to mission along the way. All of this has an impact on our own satisfaction, health, and financial wellness, but we don’t give it the attention it deserves.
By aligning incentives with individual talent, Free Agency is enabled to build first-of-their-kind products & services and define a new category of career management.