About the job
The Chief of Staff reports to and works closely with the President as a member of the senior management team and serves as advisor and strategist to the President. The Chief of Staff also works closely with members of Juilliard’s senior staff and divisional leadership team in carrying out the work of the President and serves as a liaison to the Board of Trustees.
- Assists the President in actively driving the strategic plan forward, building an atmosphere of coordination and clarity of the School’s mission, vision, and goals, and advancing initiatives and activities existing and new with relevant partners throughout the institution.
- As Chief of Staff, represents the President with various constituencies, including the Board of Trustees, management, faculty, staff, students, alumni, and various external entities
- Provides leadership and operational oversight to the Office of the President in fulfilling the School’s mission and goals.
- Previews, develops, and prioritizes matters requiring the attention of the President
- Provides administrative oversight for Presidential Initiatives in Creative Enterprise and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (EDIB).
- Works closely with the Vice President and Chief Advancement Officer to support fundraising efforts by the President.
- Works closely with the Vice President for Public Affairs to support Presidential communications including speeches, citations, and community and public letters
- Works closely with the Corporate Secretary to manage board-related activities including the planning and staffing of meetings, preparation of agendas, presentations, and talking points for the President and Board Chair
- Apprises the President of individual and departmental milestones, successes, and issues; coordinates the President’s response
- Follows up on action items after meetings, driving forward next steps with relevant parties.
- Attends events, performances, and other engagements involving the President, including many evening and weekend activities
- Helps the President’s executive assistant develop and prioritize requests for President’s calendar
- Fosters an organizational culture that values innovation, promotes inclusion, and inspires excellence in the work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
- Deep background in arts and/or higher education
- 5+ years of experience in an executive- level position in a first-in-class organization
- Willingness to work extended hours and modify schedule to attend evening and weekend events and support special project deadlines
- Requires superior interpersonal skills, including poise, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Impeccable communication skills
- Experience in complex project management at a high level
- Anticipates and proposes solutions to problems
- Flexibility, teamwork, and good humor
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication (including active listening) skills
- The successful candidate must be able to work well with all levels of employees, be flexible in nature, have sound judgment with an open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization.
- Ability to work with a wide range of constituencies (staff, students, faculty, and administrators) with diplomacy and tact
- Understanding of the values and mission of The Juilliard School