Category Operations Manager
Learn moreLearn more
Mar 29, 2023
Learn moreLearn more
ARE YOU A CURRENT US FOODS EMPLOYEE? PLEASE APPLY DIRECTLY THROUGH OUR INTERNAL WORKDAY CAREER SITE.
Join Our Community of Food People!
Support and execute the implementation of US Foods division category strategy across the defined Area. Execute recommended assortment changes and support positive local vendor relationships for all DCs within the defined Area. Support Area and DC sales staff with product assortment updates, informational inquiries and delivery of merchandising goals for all DCs within that Area. Support all local customer requirements within the defined Area keeping in line with the national strategies coming from the Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to design and implement overall category strategy for assigned category. Play a central role in leading the implementation of the strategy across the enterprise
- Manage and provide detailed analysis of assigned category performance including growth objectives. Analysis will focus on the areas of product assortment, pricing, promotions, new product introductions, pricing changes, etc. Maintain regular reports to track performance and identify impact of variables on category performance against established metrics. Identify and report on trends, changes and opportunities. Provide suggestions aimed at increasing category performance.
- Develop RFPs and RFIs. Throughout the course of vendor negotiations and on-going management, review vendor proposals, agreements and contracts to support the category's success.
- Manage and maintain relationships with vendors leading product reviews, identification and assessment of opportunities and negotiating promotions for conferences. Additionally, the Associate Category Manager will negotiate with vendors who currently do not have in-place agreements with US Foods. Negotiate deals and Vendor Pricing Allowances (VPAs) with suppliers.
- Review and assess vendor performance reports, identify issues and provide recommendations to Sr Category Manager – work directly with vendors to maximize vendor performance.
- Conduct product assortment review and analysis, identifying top-performing SKUs by division and region. Identify areas for potential growth and analyze impact of proposed assortment changes. Recommend changes and actions to the Sr Category Manager, aimed at enhancing category effectiveness and performance.
- Review category pricing reports on a regular basis, identifying potential pricing issues and opportunities. Conduct a detailed analysis on the impact of pricing and assortment changes and provide findings and recommendations to the Category Manager. Support the category by developing category specific communications, including product launch support materials.
- Maintain close relations with US Foods regions and divisions with the objective of understanding critical requirements and perspectives and ensuring that their needs are addressed in the overall category strategy. Liaise with divisions to resolve escalated merchandising issues.
- Other duties assigned by manager.
- Four-year college degree in business or related field, or equivalent field experience required.
- Must possess a minimum 5 years experience in retail, food service or with a consumer goods company.
- Prior experience in vendor relations, pricing and management of product assortment required.
- Prior Category Management experience strongly desired.
- Must possess the ability to operate successfully within a matrix organization, working effectively with multiple groups.
- Must be able to work in a team setting, drive organizational transformations and support change management within the organization.
- Must be able to provide fact-based recommendations across a variety of management levels resulting in buy-in and improvement in category performance.
- Must be self-directed and highly motivated, possessing a strong business acumen, sound interpersonal skills, and excellent presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required; working knowledge of PowerPoint is required.
- EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status***