Business Operations Manager
Are you a team player? Are you interested in working on meaningful projects? Do you want to work with cutting-edge technology? Are you interested in being part of a team that is working to transform and do things differently? Excited to learn more? If so, then this could be the role for you!
LPL Financial is one of the nation's leading financial services companies and a publicly traded company under ticker symbol LPLA. We support over 18,000 financial professionals—including over 14,000 independent advisors, more than 700 financial institutions, and over 4,000 institutional clearing and technology subscribers. We enable advisors to focus on their clients by reducing the complexity of running their practice and we support their business by offering enabling technology, comprehensive clearing and compliance services, practice management programs and training, and independent research. At LPL, we take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients. And Technology is at the center of our mission.
EPMO serves as the Enterprise Portfolio Management Office (EPMO) for the technology organization at LPL. The purpose of EPMO is to enable agile best practices and drive planning and execution activities that unlock the flow of value and create transparency into capacity across the organization. EPMO supports product delivery, by providing services to business partners and Delivery Teams. EPMO manages a suite of services that includes support, delivery, implementation, and monitoring to ensure the efficient execution of key initiatives for internal customers.
The Business Operations Manager is responsible for business activities including, strategic planning, cost and financial management and process standardization. The Business Operations Manager role oversees all stakeholder management and requirements gathering to inform planning and sequencing decisions while also ensuring talent plans align to the strategy & financial management needs of the firm.
The Business Operations Manager works closely with the entire EPMO. This person builds relationships with senior stakeholders across the business, product and technology teams.
- Responsible for strategic planning and process standardization ensuring talent strategies connect to financial management to then ensure teams plan based on capacity for prioritized demand. Support business planning as needed.
- Attention to detail to oversee and make improvements to departments' efficiencies and productivity
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills to develop strategies that help overcome departmental challenges and enhance the company's performance levels and profits
- Identifying opportunities for cost savings by eliminating redundant processes or services, such as through automation of manual tasks or use of technology to improve internal communications
- Identify business operations optimization opportunities, review and validate compiled business cases, present to senior business leaders and stakeholders.
- Provide recommendations for initiative sequencing based on created roadmap options, articulating each potential sequence's benefits, risks, and tradeoffs.
- Oversee Business Analyst and stakeholder partnerships to ensure business needs, value-adds, and business requirements are identified and documented.
- Determine the planning impacts of any identified dependencies and develop mitigation plans to minimize the impacts.
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders and helps set the stakeholder management strategy and practices for Business Analyst interactions with external stakeholders.
- Responsible for conducting research, information gathering, and process mapping. Set and oversee processes and practices.
What are we looking for?
We want strong collaborators who can deliver a world-class client experience. We are looking for people who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are client-focused, team oriented, and are able to execute in a way that encourages creativity and continuous improvement.
Core & Common Competencies:
- Analytics and reporting - Develops analytics policy, standards and guidelines. Establishes and manages analytics methods, techniques and capabilities. Sets direction and leads the use of analytics to meet overall business requirements. Identifies and establishes the veracity of the external sources of information.
- Business modeling and analysis- Takes full responsibility for business analysis for interconnected organizations. Guides senior management towards accepting change brought about through process and organizational change.
- Business process improvement - Influences business process improvement at the enterprise level.
- Performance management - Manages individuals and groups. Allocates responsibilities and work, including supervisory responsibilities. Sets performance targets, and monitors progress against agreed criteria. Provides effective feedback. Ensures effective working relationships. Advises individuals on career paths and provides mentoring to support professional development.
- Prioritization - Sets prioritization vision. Ensures necessary processes, technology, and resources are available to effectively prioritize work.
- Servant leadership - Excellent listening skills. Actively seeks feedback from the team and stakeholders. Influences relevant leadership to remove impediments creating the context for high performing teams. Facilitates resolution of conflicts within the team.
- Strategic planning - Designs strategic planning processes for their department / organization and provides support and input to strategic planning processes across multiple LPL organizations.
- Communication - A trusted leader who can effectively communicate difficult messages in a way that motivates the recipient of the message.
- Lean-agile mindset - Helps team's stakeholders to understand and apply Agile thinking and methodologies.
- Problem management - Ensures that appropriate action is taken to anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in systems and services. Ensures that such problems are fully documented within the relevant reporting system(s). Enables development of problem solutions. Coordinates the implementation of agreed remedies and preventative measures. Analyzes patterns and trends.
- 8+ years of experience in technology and operations management. At least 2 must be in a Leadership role.
- Bachelor's degree in an analytical or business-related field preferred, or equivalent experience.
- Comfortable with large amounts of data; being able to source and interpret large data sets.
- High level of proficiency in PowerPoint and Excel
- Proactive in problem solving with high level of critical thinking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to build strong professional relationships at all levels.
The salary range is dependent on a number of factors, including the applicant’s skill, experience, and work location.
At LPL, we believe that objective financial guidance is a fundamental need for everyone. As the nation’s leading independent broker-dealer, we offer an integrated platform of proprietary technology, brokerage, and investment advisor services. We provide you with a work environment that encourages your creativity and growth, a leadership team that is supportive and responsive, and the opportunity to create a career that has no limits, only amazing potential.
We are one team on one mission. We take care of our advisors, so they can take care of their clients.
Because our company is not too big and not too small, you can seize the opportunity to make a real impact. We are committed to supporting workplace equality, and we embrace the different perspectives and backgrounds of our employees. We also care for our communities, and we encourage our employees to do the same. This creates an environment in which you can do your best work.
Want to hear from our employees on what it’s like to work at LPL? Watch this!
We take social responsibility seriously. Learn more here
Want to see info on our benefits? Learn more here
Join the LPL team and help us make a difference by turning life’s aspirations into financial realities. Please log in or create an account to apply to this position. Principals only. EOE.
Information on Interviews:
LPL will only communicate with a job applicant directly from an @lplfinancial.com email address and will never conduct an interview online or in a chatroom forum. During an interview, LPL will not request any form of payment from the applicant, or information regarding an applicant’s bank or credit card. Should you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact LPL’s Human Resources Solutions Center at (800) 877-7210.