Pinwheel - Building a fairer financial system by unlocking API access to payroll systems.
More than half of Americans have a poor credit score or no score at all. Since most financial institutions rely on traditional credit scoring to assess risk, that means these people can't access affordable financial products. Instead, they resort to high-interest credit cards, payday loans, and trigger overdraft fees to make ends meet — which ultimately push them into deeper cycles of debt.
Pinwheel provides an API platform that makes it easy to connect payroll accounts like ADP and Gusto to any app. By unlocking the wealth of identity, income and employment data that sits in these systems, alongside direct access to paychecks, we can help innovators build the next generation of financial products that increase access for the underserved while improving the businesses of our partner fintechs, banks, and lenders.
Who are we looking for?
The Business Operations & Finance role at Pinwheel is high profile and mission-critical, with the opportunity to drive huge impact at a fast growing startup; we have clear product/market fit, strong financial footing (3+ years runway), and are backed by world class investors like GGV, Coatue, First Round, and Upfront. As the company's first BizOps hire, you will drive critical company-wide initiatives, both strategic and operational, with lots of exposure to the CEO, broader executive team, and investor network. We are looking for someone who is highly resourceful, a great communicator, biased toward action, and has high intellectual horsepower and EQ.
What will you be doing?
- Special projects - Lead cross-functional teams on critical company initiatives, ensuring rapid progress, disciplined measurement, and high impact, e.g., pricing/GTM strategy, product expansion, KPI dashboarding, real-time customer reporting.
- Company Operating Cadence - Manage the creation/coordination of key presentations to/from the Executive Team, Board of Directors, and Company All Hands; synthesize key learnings, decisions, and next steps, and drive accountability on follow-ups.
- Strategic Finance / Planning and Analysis - Support on key strategic/operational finance workflows e.g., revenue forecasting, budgeting, quarterly OKR goal setting, customer deal desk.
What experience, skills, and qualifications are necessary?
- 3-4+ years of work experience, at a management consulting firm (e.g. McKinsey, Bain, BCG, etc.). Additional startup experience a nice to have, but not required.
- Strategic Thinker and Dedication to Learning: You have high intellectual horsepower, are creative, and a quick learner. You seek out opportunities to constantly learn and improve. You excel at applying data-driven critical thinking and frameworks to problems to find solutions and have excellent commercial judgment.
- Get Things Done Mentality: You have a strong bias towards action and have a consistent track record of delivering results by doing whatever it takes.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You can comfortably dive into any business or product area and figure things out with minimal support.
- Project Management / Highly Organized: You are a skilled project manager with robust organizational and analytical skills. You operate your day-to-day in a very structured format and are a consistent note-taker.
- Strong Communicator: You are articulate and can communicate well both internally across different functions (engineers, PM, execs, lawyers, etc) as well as externally with stakeholders like customers and partners.
Why join Pinwheel?
Best Time to Join - Our company is small but well-funded, meaning you get the upside of starting on the bottom floor with minimal risk.
Be a Cultural Founder - You will have an active hand in molding the company culture and being a part of the entrepreneurial journey.
Build Something Revolutionary - Help build the consumer data infrastructure of the future.
- Excellent compensation & equity packages
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Life & short-term disability insurance
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid parental leave
- 401K for retirement planning
- Mentorship opportunities
- Free Citibike membership
- Pet-friendly offices and Zoom spaces
At Pinwheel, total compensation is made up of salary + equity + benefits. We recruit motivated and high performing talent, and work to compensate people in line with the value they can bring to the organization in delivering outsized results. The talent market is competitive, and maintaining our ability to recruit and retain the best team possible is a top priority for Pinwheel. When creating an offer, we consider interview performance, candidate experience, external market competitiveness, and internal equity in thoughtfully assessing compensation. The expected cash salary range for this role is $121,000 - $150,000 annually.
Diversity & Inclusion at Pinwheel
The success of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion relies on continuous, immersive learning and dialogue within our entire team. All employees of Pinwheel are expected to demonstrate behaviors of equity, advocacy, activism, inclusion, and anti-racism in the workplace.